Hunting Rifle: Anyone Else Have No Desire for a Silencer?

The state I live in, won't allow ownership of a suppressor, so I don't. When I move to another state where I can own one, I probably won't get one. Do I think that everyone should be using them, yes.

I support brakes and suppressors for most shooters. Silencers are illegal in almost every state. Many non-users are deaf, or close to it! We should be considerate of those near us, as well as ourselves, when shooting!

The velocity loss of a shorter barrel doesn't matter as long as you know your velocity you can calculate long range shots with ease. Like that one guy said velocity is just part of the equation. Making a short 300wsm shoot like a normal 30-06 is no problem at all, both kill with efficiency just know your speeds for drops.
A 308 and a 300wm are pretty different but both have been shot over 1000yds for a long time and taken plenty of game for all sizes, so making a 300wm so short it shoots like a 308 isn't a problem because it's still a 30 cal bullet going 2700fps

That's your prerogative dude... but i have never shortened a barrel to put a can on my gun. Hunting suppressed is a whole new experience. Doe I shot yesterday never knew she was hit, and walked 10' before she just fell over. Like someone previously stated once you hunt with it....it's tough to not hunt with one!

My 700 in 7mm08, and howa 6.5 grendel

Attachments

• 20211202_160644.jpg
    20211202_160644.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
  • 20201112_114334.jpg
    20201112_114334.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 62
I will admit that I had no desire for a can until I got one early this year and it was great, to finally shoot at a deer with out ear plugs and sight in work, I have lost about 50% of my hearing due to gun shots and loud music in my dumb early years but now I want another suppressor and will have my 204 and 6.5-284 shortened to 22 inches as yesterday toting around my 30.06 with a 26in barrel and suppressor was a pain in the butt, but due to barrel fluting on it and my 6 Creed I cannot see how it would work out to shorten those to 22 inches, and carrying the rifle with a sling all it wants to do is fall muzzle down

I support brakes and suppressors for most shooters. Silencers are illegal in almost every state. Many non-users are deaf, or close to it! We should be considerate of those near us, as well as ourselves, when shooting!
Incorrect.
Suppressors are legal in most states except the usual 8 blue states.
CA, NY, NJ,MA, DE,RI, IL, HI.

Wow! This is a topic that obviously is interesting to many. To each their own when it comes to opinions. What gets under my skin is the hostility of some of the posters. This is what I found in some of the other forums I have visited. The LRH forum has generally been a pleasant departure from this type of diatribe. I guess the door is open to all to share their thoughts. A message to "sponsors", you can alienate potential customers with hostile reactions and discrediting their views.

What brand (brands) suppressors do you like best?
I bought a SilencerCo Hybrid as a do all can a few years ago when I foolishly thought I would only own one suppressor. It worked well though I have since gotten a Dead Air Nomad Ti and Nomad L. The Nomad Ti is actually quieter than the Hybrid despite being 1.5" inches shorter and almost half the weight. The Nomad L however is in a class of its own and one of the quietest suppressors on the market.

Now the Hybrid lives on my blackout as it has the least amount of back pressure though in the future I may pick up another can dedicated for the blackout.

Well here we go again! I see the name of this blog as Long Range Hunting yet see all kinds of responses that belay the true intent of the title of the blog. Yes I will admit that to me 300 yards or less is all that I am comfortable taking a shot at big game at, an honestly much less. Much prefer between 50 and 200 yards but might stretch it to 300 yards if really warranted. I am one that loves to maximize ballistic performance as well as terminal performance on the rifles I use for hunting. Target shooting is entirely a different story. Here I see talk about wanting to shoot large animals out to 800 or 900 yards or more ,but want to have a short rifle 20 inch barrel and a suppressor to shoot as these ranges. OK Folks...I have been in this game for over 50 years and what is proposed here is not ballistic-ally feasible. You don't take a magnum cartridge designed for a 24 inch or longer barrel and shoot it in a 20 inch barrel to begin with is ludicrous. All that powder that exits the barrel burned in the atmosphere outside of the barrel causing a big eruption of muzzle flash is essentially wasted money. A suppressor on a hunting rifle is about as useless as tits on a boar hog. A supersonic bullet will hit the target before the sound of the shot will. Thus the comment in the military that you will never hear the shot that kills you rings true. The supersonic bullet will hit you and kill you before you will hear the sound of the shot from the rifle that it was fired from. Silencers on high power rifles are essentially useless. You may deaden the sound of the rifle going off in the distance but that will be negated by the supersonic bullet hitting the target, whatever that may be before the sound of the shot reaching them. By that time the animal you were shooting at is dead before the sound of the shot reaches them. Wake up people. If you want to chronograph ammo leaving the barrel of a test rifle, same ammo..from two different identical rifles one with a 20 inch barrel with or without your mystical suppressor as opposed to the design 24 inch barrel that the manufacturer's use as their proof rounds for each bullet design, and expect to get better performance than the factory does you are simply delusional. With this I will simply sit back and listen to your diatribe on the fact that I don't know what I'm talking about. Your challenge is to prove me wrong;.

You should tell that to Gunwerks, I'm sure you know more about long range shooting than they do and last I checked they stated that they were running more and more of their rifles with 18", 20" or 22" barrels and suppressors.

Well here we go again! I see the name of this blog as Long Range Hunting yet see all kinds of responses that belay the true intent of the title of the blog. Yes I will admit that to me 300 yards or less is all that I am comfortable taking a shot at big game at, an honestly much less. Much prefer between 50 and 200 yards but might stretch it to 300 yards if really warranted. I am one that loves to maximize ballistic performance as well as terminal performance on the rifles I use for hunting. Target shooting is entirely a different story. Here I see talk about wanting to shoot large animals out to 800 or 900 yards or more ,but want to have a short rifle 20 inch barrel and a suppressor to shoot as these ranges. OK Folks...I have been in this game for over 50 years and what is proposed here is not ballistic-ally feasible. You don't take a magnum cartridge designed for a 24 inch or longer barrel and shoot it in a 20 inch barrel to begin with is ludicrous. All that powder that exits the barrel burned in the atmosphere outside of the barrel causing a big eruption of muzzle flash is essentially wasted money. A suppressor on a hunting rifle is about as useless as tits on a boar hog. A supersonic bullet will hit the target before the sound of the shot will. Thus the comment in the military that you will never hear the shot that kills you rings true. The supersonic bullet will hit you and kill you before you will hear the sound of the shot from the rifle that it was fired from. Silencers on high power rifles are essentially useless. You may deaden the sound of the rifle going off in the distance but that will be negated by the supersonic bullet hitting the target, whatever that may be before the sound of the shot reaching them. By that time the animal you were shooting at is dead before the sound of the shot reaches them. Wake up people. If you want to chronograph ammo leaving the barrel of a test rifle, same ammo..from two different identical rifles one with a 20 inch barrel with or without your mystical suppressor as opposed to the design 24 inch barrel that the manufacturer's use as their proof rounds for each bullet design, and expect to get better performance than the factory does you are simply delusional. With this I will simply sit back and listen to your diatribe on the fact that I don't know what I'm talking about. Your challenge is to prove me wrong;.
Prove you wrong? Your rant made no sense to begin with. Nobody argued that an animal is "jumping the bullet". Of course the bullet gets there before the sound. If it's a kill shot you could shoot it then announce it with a megaphone. On missed/wounded game a suppressor will likely give you an additional shot where a non suppressed rifle won't.

As far as ballistics, I hunt deer and elk, apparently some of us hunt armored vehicles? The loss of 100-150fps in MV has absolutely zero impact to my killing ability out to 700-1000 yards, so another moot point.

What about recoil mitigation? Another nonissue? A suppressor is going to tame recoil somewhere in the 25-40% range. That is a huge benefit! It allows the shooter to practice more at the range, therefore becoming more proficient in the field, as well as get back on target and spot shots in the field.

Oh, and how about those little things sticking off your head. If your hearing isn't important to you then maybe suppressors are a waste of money. If you like to be able to hear, they make the gun hearing safe.

Plenty of logical arguments against suppressors on this thread, but this isn't one of those!

I've been wanting a suppressor for years. I got a 30 cal ultra 9 a few months ago and love it. I only have 2 threaded barrels but I plan on threading several others without shortening anything.

A few years ago I shot some AR prototypes that were integrally suppressed. No extra lengths, but they were prototypes, and they would get HOT as the fore arm was part of the suppressor.
Yep, lucky to have used several in 22LR, 223, 9mm, 45. Not prototypes and they got hot just less than a suppressor because the "suppressor" area was much larger than a screw on can. Even then most did not like them for their weight, bulk, and general feel compared to a smaller caliber specific can. Technology has gotten better, and it is very funny we don't see in the US the mid length internal threads like over seas.

Yep, lucky to have used several in 22LR, 223, 9mm, 45. Not prototypes and they got hot just less than a suppressor because the "suppressor" area was much larger than a screw on can. Even then most did not like them for their weight, bulk, and general feel compared to a smaller caliber specific can. Technology has gotten better, and it is very funny we don't see in the US the mid length internal threads like over seas.
Actually this was in the suburbs of Houston, a very innovating small firearms designer and manufacturer of AR type rifles. The whole forearm of the rifle was an integral suppressor.