Hunting Rifle: Anyone Else Have No Desire for a Silencer?

A few years ago I shot some AR prototypes that were integrally suppressed. No extra lengths, but they were prototypes, and they would get HOT as the fore arm was part of the suppressor.

I see a lot of folks are putting silencers on their hunting rifles, even sacrificing ballistic performance by shortening barrels.

Anyone else prefer their hunting rifle to not have a silencer? Maybe I'm old school but I don't have muzzle brakes or silencers on my hunting rifles.
I don't like the expense of suppressors. I shoot revolvers mostly, so they don't work effeciently with them, and I don't have them on my hunting rifles because I don't like the extra weight or length. I use a muzzle brake on two of my rifles, due to recoil but no cans. If you like them, that's great. I don't see a need for them with my rifles.

I see a lot of folks are putting silencers on their hunting rifles, even sacrificing ballistic performance by shortening barrels.

Anyone else prefer their hunting rifle to not have a silencer? Maybe I'm old school but I don't have muzzle brakes or silencers on my hunting rifles.
I was just thinking about getting more suppressors actually. They don't sacrifice ballistic performance. Velocity is only part of an equation it is not "performance" in my humble opinion. Accuracy, consistency and terminal ballistics are how performance is measured for the loads we hunt with. I don't care how much velocity the guy next to me is sending his rounds at, or whether he runs a straight, braked or suppressed barrel 16"-30" long. If he is loving his way of shooting and gets the results he wants I say good for him and good for you for having the rifle set up the way you prefer to hunt with it and getting 'er done. Nice buck!!

Well here we go again! I see the name of this blog as Long Range Hunting yet see all kinds of responses that belay the true intent of the title of the blog. Yes I will admit that to me 300 yards or less is all that I am comfortable taking a shot at big game at, an honestly much less. Much prefer between 50 and 200 yards but might stretch it to 300 yards if really warranted. I am one that loves to maximize ballistic performance as well as terminal performance on the rifles I use for hunting. Target shooting is entirely a different story. Here I see talk about wanting to shoot large animals out to 800 or 900 yards or more ,but want to have a short rifle 20 inch barrel and a suppressor to shoot as these ranges. OK Folks...I have been in this game for over 50 years and what is proposed here is not ballistic-ally feasible. You don't take a magnum cartridge designed for a 24 inch or longer barrel and shoot it in a 20 inch barrel to begin with is ludicrous. All that powder that exits the barrel burned in the atmosphere outside of the barrel causing a big eruption of muzzle flash is essentially wasted money. A suppressor on a hunting rifle is about as useless as tits on a boar hog. A supersonic bullet will hit the target before the sound of the shot will. Thus the comment in the military that you will never hear the shot that kills you rings true. The supersonic bullet will hit you and kill you before you will hear the sound of the shot from the rifle that it was fired from. Silencers on high power rifles are essentially useless. You may deaden the sound of the rifle going off in the distance but that will be negated by the supersonic bullet hitting the target, whatever that may be before the sound of the shot reaching them. By that time the animal you were shooting at is dead before the sound of the shot reaches them. Wake up people. If you want to chronograph ammo leaving the barrel of a test rifle, same ammo..from two different identical rifles one with a 20 inch barrel with or without your mystical suppressor as opposed to the design 24 inch barrel that the manufacturer's use as their proof rounds for each bullet design, and expect to get better performance than the factory does you are simply delusional. With this I will simply sit back and listen to your diatribe on the fact that I don't know what I'm talking about. Your challenge is to prove me wrong;.

Seems pretty unnecessary to me. Especially a long range rifle.
Why do you think this? I have several "long range rifles" and I dont take the time to let an animal run away while I try to get hearing protection in. My last one a 300RUM can make your ears hurt real quick with no plugs or muffs. My newest 28N and 338 Edge will have the same amount of sound. Yep the worst was four rounds one after the other with the RUM. (gotta love those booger bullets they are such amazing killers.....ok ok...I missed the first shot so only blame boogers for two of the four. LOL)

Well here we go again! I see the name of this blog as Long Range Hunting yet see all kinds of responses that belay the true intent of the title of the blog. Yes I will admit that to me 300 yards or less is all that I am comfortable taking a shot at big game at, an honestly much less. Much prefer between 50 and 200 yards but might stretch it to 300 yards if really warranted. I am one that loves to maximize ballistic performance as well as terminal performance on the rifles I use for hunting. Target shooting is entirely a different story. Here I see talk about wanting to shoot large animals out to 800 or 900 yards or more ,but want to have a short rifle 20 inch barrel and a suppressor to shoot as these ranges. OK Folks...I have been in this game for over 50 years and what is proposed here is not ballistic-ally feasible. You don't take a magnum cartridge designed for a 24 inch or longer barrel and shoot it in a 20 inch barrel to begin with is ludicrous. All that powder that exits the barrel burned in the atmosphere outside of the barrel causing a big eruption of muzzle flash is essentially wasted money. A suppressor on a hunting rifle is about as useless as tits on a boar hog. A supersonic bullet will hit the target before the sound of the shot will. Thus the comment in the military that you will never hear the shot that kills you rings true. The supersonic bullet will hit you and kill you before you will hear the sound of the shot from the rifle that it was fired from. Silencers on high power rifles are essentially useless. You may deaden the sound of the rifle going off in the distance but that will be negated by the supersonic bullet hitting the target, whatever that may be before the sound of the shot reaching them. By that time the animal you were shooting at is dead before the sound of the shot reaches them. Wake up people. If you want to chronograph ammo leaving the barrel of a test rifle, same ammo..from two different identical rifles one with a 20 inch barrel with or without your mystical suppressor as opposed to the design 24 inch barrel that the manufacturer's use as their proof rounds for each bullet design, and expect to get better performance than the factory does you are simply delusional. With this I will simply sit back and listen to your diatribe on the fact that I don't know what I'm talking about. Your challenge is to prove me wrong;.

Prove you wrong? You prove yourself wrong. Then you state you won't listen to any view other than your own no matter what is said… a true demonstration of willful ignorance. 4" of barrel is about 100fps. Not the end of the world as you'd paint it to be. Despite that foolishness, who said you need to run a 20" barrel? I run around with 26" suppressed rifles all the time.

Your reliance on "factory" data, demonstrates your ignorance, as wildcat shooters have been besting "factory" performance in shorter barrels for decades.

Your opinion on what animals perceive further demonstrates your ignorance… because those of us that have been hunting with suppressors for decades have seen proof of its benefits and that proof is undeniable.

You simply lack any required experience to have any valid opinion on this topic.

No brakes or suppressors here either.

Try doing that without suppression.

Attachments

• 7EE92088-7612-40D7-94A4-5DF5ED187CDB.png
    7EE92088-7612-40D7-94A4-5DF5ED187CDB.png
    226.1 KB · Views: 74

I know, each to their own. That stuff is not for me. While I have some nice hunting rifles, I guess, I'm not that cool.

I don't own a suppressor or have a rifle with a brake. Not that I have anything against either. I don't have anything that needs a brake and the costs associated with a suppressor make them unattractive, to me anyway.

I feel that the general public and politicians ignorance about suppressors is the reason a person has to jump through hoops to get one. We've all seen movies where the gun barely makes a sound and I think a lot of people believe that's how they work.

My cousin has one on a Ruger mk4 pistol, it definately helps, but there no doubt what the sound it makes is.

YUP,. I have, THREE Tikka's that,.. look like, yours !
NO Brakes or, Cans on, ANY of our, HUNTING, Rifles
.243 Win, & 6.5 Creed for, Deer, Antelope, Coyotes and, Fun on steel, and,.. a 270 WSM for, Elk.
My son has a 7mm-08 in, a Tikka also !
All 4, are 7.5 Pounds or less and HANDY with those, 22 or, 24 inch Barrels.
SOLD my Heavier/ LONGER, Rem 7mm Mag., 26 " barreled Rifle that, CAUGHT ON almost, every, freakin' Branch !
YUP,. We're still,.. "Old School" ! We wear plugs and ENJOY that, Super,.. Velocity !
You guys just don't shoot big enough, bad enough, and loud enough rifles.

@ Treeslug,.. EXACTLY !
My .270 WSM is, a "pussycat" for Recoil, w/ 140's going @ 3,185 FPS and a "Lazer" that, I don't even touch, the Scope's "Dial", til' PAST,.. 350 Yards.
The Noise ain't that bad and knocks Elk on, their Keester, instantly with those, nasty Bergers !
Sold my Custom, .338 Win Mag years ago ( still HAVE, the "Flinch", tho ! ).
At 74 y/o, I go way, WAY, back, to PRE,.. Brakes, Suppressors and Range Finders ( LOL ! )
I DO have, Brakes on my, 6 XC and .22-250 Varmint Rifles tho, as I like to see, the small stuff, explode .

Last edited: