Hunting Rifle: Anyone Else Have No Desire for a Silencer?

I have a 11 inch Surefire quick detach suppressor that mounts over a Surefire brake with 3 inches of barrel overlap to help with length. I use it with .338 LM and 6.5 PRC barrels. I know my POI shift, and can shoot with or without my suppressor, but prefer to shoot with it. Less noise, less recoil, more velocity, and in my opinion definitely worth the extra length and weight. Sure would be nice to get rid of the ATF BS though. We are not finished yet, educate the young and uninformed about the things we hold dear, and VOTE!

All my rifles are threaded, have a pile of now unused Brakes.
I currently own 5 suppressors and have been using them over 20 years. Suppressors ar enot regulated here in NZ and available "over the counter" at any firearms retailer.
Hunting rifle yes barrels are shortened. Range rifles not shortened. My Kimber Montana 300WSM hunting rifle is shortened to 20 inches and OAL 24 with suppressor which makes it the same as an unsuppressed 30/06 which is what the aim was.
On the range suppressor keeps all the neighbors happy and other range users happy, out hunting keeps you, your mates and most especially your dog happy as we all keep our hearing. Bonus is animals generally don't react too much as past 100m or so they only hear the crack of the bullet going past assuming your first shot missed!
I have seen some videos on you tube and guys in your area, Europe, etc. run the heck out of suppressors. It appears to me many of them the threads are much farther inside the can than I see here in the US. Am I not seeing it correctly? Are the threads at the end of the can or partially in the middle of it? If I could get a can where it only made my 300RUM or 338Edge 26" barrel 31" instead of 37" I would be extremely interested.

YUP,. I have, THREE Tikka's that,.. look like, yours !
NO Brakes or, Cans on, ANY of our, HUNTING, Rifles
.243 Win, & 6.5 Creed for, Deer, Antelope, Coyotes and, Fun on steel, and,.. a 270 WSM for, Elk.
My son has a 7mm-08 in, a Tikka also !
All 4, are 7.5 Pounds or less and HANDY with those, 22 or, 24 inch Barrels.
SOLD my Heavier/ LONGER, Rem 7mm Mag., 26 " barreled Rifle that, CAUGHT ON almost, every, freakin' Branch !
YUP,. We're still,.. "Old School" ! We wear plugs and ENJOY that, Super,.. Velocity !
Kind sir… I'm trying to build a lightweight elk rifle for high country work, either 308 or 7-08. What Tikka models do you favor and why? 500 yard max range but I want sub MOA performance and am willing to hand load. Please share-

I picked up my first one during the ban years. I put it on an AR. And found out that you get a lot of noise out of the action. And found out that the bullet impact was enough to send the close prairie dogs running for the holes. None of my other rifles were threaded so I quit running it for 10+ years. Then I picked up a 17 fireball that was threaded and that was a game changer. It was extremely quiet in the little bolt action. So after I had my 338 lapua for a while I decided to get another one. I took possession of it right before deer season. Currently I have a lug on the 338 lapua RPR and an AR in 25 WSSM. The lapua is much quieter than the AR but I am always going to run it on them.
But in my opinion they shine in a bolt gun

Talking about suppressors what would be a good one from multiple calibers. Do they make one that you could use on a 22 right up to 338.
Yes many companies make one. I got a Silencerco 300 Omega and it works awesome on everything from 223-300WM. 22LR has to be able to take apart and clean, so I would suggest not using it through a closed can even though you could. Screwed up and should have gotten the 338 Harvester. My dumb butt didnt research enough before I jumped.

Kind sir… I'm trying to build a lightweight elk rifle for high country work, either 308 or 7-08. What Tikka models do you favor and why? 500 yard max range but I want sub MOA performance and am willing to hand load. Please share-
For Elk,..
My son, shoots, a Tikka T-3, Super Lite, SS, in 7mm-08, using, the 168 gr. Berger HVLD and a near Max charge load of, StaBall 65 Powder @ 2,765.
I use, a Tikka T-3 Lite, ( NON Fluted, Factory, SS 24" bbl. ) in .270 WSM with, Berger 140 gr. Classic Hunters @ 3,185 FPS.
Make sure, you have, a Steel Recoil lug and that, the bbl channel is, Free Floated, adequately ( seen, a couple that, "Touched" on, older model rifles ).
We use, LimbSaver recoil Pads and Elay Precision, Trigger Springs, setting Triggers at a Crisp, 1.5 Pound pull and carry the Rifle with, NO shell in Chamber ( Mag Full ). AVOID,.. Heavy Scopes and Mounts ! Sons rifle, is UNDER 7.5 pounds mine 2-3 ounces over at, 7 lbs 10 ounces ( I use, Steel Zee Rings and have, a slightly thicker, longer, 24" Bbl ). We love our Tikka's !
WHY ??,.. these 2 Cartridges & Loads, "can" Kill Elk to,.. 700+ Yards. We've gotten, 3 Elk with, them and we walk from, 1 to 5 Miles from the Truck
in, the Mountains, to find our game. Light Weight and accuracy IS, very important to us and both Rifles / loads, shoot, sub 3/4 MOA.
We Hunt in, Finger Canyons and Timber a lot, so no need to shoot past, 6-700 yards where we, CHOOSE to Hunt.
Feel free to ask any "specific" questions,.. Hope this, helps !

Last edited:
I see a lot of folks are putting silencers on their hunting rifles, even sacrificing ballistic performance by shortening barrels.

Anyone else prefer their hunting rifle to not have a silencer? Maybe I'm old school but I don't have muzzle brakes or silencers on my hunting rifles.
I like brakes because I shoot better with them. All my hunts are out west and I don't want to sacrifice anything in velocity at the ranges that I expect to shoot.

I use the equipment in the link to mitigate the issue of muzzle blast. This item will improve my hearing, while protecting me from the muzzle blast. I know most of you know about the above mentioned item, but I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned yet:=)

Amazon product ASIN B01AAGVWJG

I like brakes because I shoot better with them. All my hunts are out west and I don't want to sacrifice anything in velocity at the ranges that I expect to shoot.

I use the equipment in the link to mitigate the issue of muzzle blast. This item will improve my hearing, while protecting me from the muzzle blast. I know most of you know about the above mentioned item, but I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned yet:=)

Amazon product ASIN B01AAGVWJG
I use those on the range with a pair of custom in ear under them. At the range always double ear protection

I have seen some videos on you tube and guys in your area, Europe, etc. run the heck out of suppressors. It appears to me many of them the threads are much farther inside the can than I see here in the US. Am I not seeing it correctly? Are the threads at the end of the can or partially in the middle of it? If I could get a can where it only made my 300RUM or 338Edge 26" barrel 31" instead of 37" I would be extremely interested.
Yes "over-barrel" are common here with the suppressor extending past the muzzle 3-4- 5 inches (depending on model / brand) and similar back from the muzzle. This reduced the Over all length.
Fully Muzzle forward are uncommon from what I have seen here in NZ
You can see some here DPT Suppressors . DPT are very popular here and reasonably priced. I have 4 of them. A-tec are another manufacturer I have experience with. Better suppression than DPT but more bulky

My DPT Ultramag suppressor extends the 28 inch barrel on my 300Norma Mag by 5.5 inches for example

Recent Posts