Hunting Rifle: Anyone Else Have No Desire for a Silencer?

While i cannot even entertain a can where i live but i would if i could have them only put them on AKs and ARs. Rifles with MB and rock on for hunting.

Unless.. you can get a can that is the size of a MB and have same recoil reduction.

I see a lot of folks are putting silencers on their hunting rifles, even sacrificing ballistic performance by shortening barrels.

Anyone else prefer their hunting rifle to not have a silencer? Maybe I'm old school but I don't have muzzle brakes or silencers on my hunting rifles.
Sure, for some things, for hunting? it's not a big deal with me, on the target range our Varinmt hunting and things like Dog Towns, Ground Hogs, or Sage Rats that's where I think it shines, and of course Mil & LEO usage. Is there a health benefit? sure anything that saves one's hearing is a benefit, when I'm in the field I just carry a lightweight set of earplugs about my neck, and weight wise it's lighter... for that, way out there walking hunt where ounces equal pounds. But for the guys that want to use them and take the weight, great, I do understand the benefits all the way around. Just my 0.2 Cheers

My hearing aids have the third setting set to reduce noises over 85 decibels.......can hardly hear the rifle..my other aids are set to reduce noise at 95 decibels..but I can turn volumes down and hardly hear the rifles I shoot at the rock pit.....
Actually..turned down I can't hear the eggs I break for breakfast crack on the stainless steel sink.....works for me.....
As a fellow hearing aid wearer, I feel obligated to tell you that just because your hearing aids cut the sound, doesn't mean the concussion isn't damaging your hearing via bone conduction and other effects.

There's no substitute for a suppressor.

Thanks h and I may have left out the important part. Hell no I'm not a Dem
. I'm probably the most libertarian person you even met. I have one basic rule. If what you do doesn't infringe on someone else's rights it should be legal.
Sorry off topic but that needed to be cleared up.
Anyway I never wanted a cab till I used one. Less hearing damage and being able to hear your impact is amazing. Still love my brakes for some times but if I can convince myself I can deal with a long barrel I will. And I'm lucky where I can zero mine with can and hike with a brake and can in backpack. I can make shots out far enough that if I see something to far out for that zero say over 400 I can spin the can on and get setup for a longer shot.

I used the word in a legal way. That is an explanation rather than "I'm sorry."

As a fellow hearing aid wearer, I feel obligated to tell you that just because your hearing aids cut the sound, doesn't mean the concussion isn't damaging your hearing via bone conduction and other effects.

There's no substitute for a suppressor.
Understood...but I also shoot 22"+ barrels..no brakes....was around once...i left the range...absurd for someone to bring one into a crowded gun range and start firing...

The only suppressor I would need is on a 22 in a big rabbit Warren so the report doesn't scare off the other rabbits at each shot…we can get those here with a government approval for vermin control, but other than that, suppressors are illegal to own and use.
When I was a kid everyone had one on their 22's, then they were banned and were supposed to be handed in voluntarily….no one I know that had one ever handed it in! Wink.

Cheers.

The only suppressor I would need is on a 22 in a big rabbit Warren so the report doesn't scare off the other rabbits at each shot…we can get those here with a government approval for vermin control, but other than that, suppressors are illegal to own and use.
When I was a kid everyone had one on their 22's, then they were banned and were supposed to be handed in voluntarily….no one I know that had one ever handed it in! Wink.

Cheers.
We duh! Lots of boating accidents. I lost a few items in one last year.

I see a lot of folks are putting silencers on their hunting rifles, even sacrificing ballistic performance by shortening barrels.

Anyone else prefer their hunting rifle to not have a silencer? Maybe I'm old school but I don't have muzzle brakes or silencers on my hunting rifles.
I don't want anything extra hanging on my rifle barrel. No brake, No silencer, No Magnet-o-speed....... nuthin.

All my rifles are threaded, have a pile of now unused Brakes.
I currently own 5 suppressors and have been using them over 20 years. Suppressors ar enot regulated here in NZ and available "over the counter" at any firearms retailer.
Hunting rifle yes barrels are shortened. Range rifles not shortened. My Kimber Montana 300WSM hunting rifle is shortened to 20 inches and OAL 24 with suppressor which makes it the same as an unsuppressed 30/06 which is what the aim was.
On the range suppressor keeps all the neighbors happy and other range users happy, out hunting keeps you, your mates and most especially your dog happy as we all keep our hearing. Bonus is animals generally don't react too much as past 100m or so they only hear the crack of the bullet going past assuming your first shot missed!

I don't know about elsewhere in regard to those using a hide or tree stand, but our Sambar deer will often raise their head at the shot and look around then after a few seconds begin feeding again. Personally I have had 3 shots at the same deer without a single hit and virtually no reaction to the gunshots on a few occasions.
Each time there was a problem, once was a scope that had been knocked and I didn't know until AFTER the fact….my Dad dropped my rifle getting it out of his car.
Another was my fault, grabbed the wrong ammo and another was shooting virtually straight down into a furrow from erosion, bullets kept hitting the lip even though I was aiming directly under the deer that I could see. After 3 shots it decided to walk out to look at the noise, then I shot him in the neck.

Cheers.