Hunting Rifle: Anyone Else Have No Desire for a Silencer?

I do not own a suppressor, I would love to some day, if they will pass al law not requiring an ATF permit and 200.00 tax.. I do have a question for those that run them, how often do you need to clean them? What happens if you fail to clean them, does it cause a failure that will require a new one? Also, to own multiple suppressors, so you need an ATF approval and 200.00 stamp per suppressor owned?
I should have answered both your questions in one post. On cleaning, it is best to follow individual mfg's suggestions on when to clean, most go by weight. Weigh the suppressor new unfired, document, fire away and weigh it again periodically. .4oz of gunk sticks in my head as enough to warrant a clean job.

Every NFA item, SBR, Silencer, AOW, etc... requires it's own tax stamp.
This right hear is why I have a hard time doing it, a stamp and 200.00 for wanting hearing protection. Stupid *** politicians made it a tax, and stamp per device owned. So, what is the law if a person has a stamp and suppressor and they pass away? What happens with that suppressor for the widow? I can look it up, but wanted to see if anyone has experience from it.

This right hear is why I have a hard time doing it, a stamp and 200.00 for wanting hearing protection. Stupid *** politicians made it a tax, and stamp per device owned. So, what is the law if a person has a stamp and suppressor and they pass away? What happens with that suppressor for the widow? I can look it up, but wanted to see if anyone has experience from it.
This is how I know it and I am no attorney, take it as such.
If you pass, and if it is in your will that your wife gets that item, it is as simple as filing a form with the BATF, they will transfer the item to her at no charge.
If you have a Trust, not sure if NFA trust is any diff than a reg trust, but any name as a beneficiary on that trust can take possession of that item.
Best if you get advice on this from a more competent source.

I see a lot of folks are putting silencers on their hunting rifles, even sacrificing ballistic performance by shortening barrels.

Anyone else prefer their hunting rifle to not have a silencer? Maybe I'm old school but I don't have muzzle brakes or silencers on my hunting rifles.
Most people who don't want a silencer haven't used one. Hearing protection on the end of the muzzle is safer for the shooter and those around them. I am super bummed I can't take mine on my Canadian sheep hunt.

I have one and like the noise suppression. Many outfits in Africa have rifles with suppressors on them. There was a bill in Congress to allow suppressors without going through the ATF, but failed. The idiots in Washington are still watching old Capone movies to get their ideas on Guns and suppressors

I see a lot of folks are putting silencers on their hunting rifles, even sacrificing ballistic performance by shortening barrels.

Anyone else prefer their hunting rifle to not have a silencer? Maybe I'm old school but I don't have muzzle brakes or silencers on my hunting rifles.
Curious to know why? Have you ever spent time behind one?

I don't have any and don't want any on a hunting rifle. They look goofy to me and add unneeded length.

I can see the benefit, just wish they were smaller and looked better.

On a pistol I'd own one though.

I don't have any and don't want any on a hunting rifle. They look goofy to me and add unneeded length.

I can see the benefit, just wish they were smaller and looked better.

On a pistol I'd own one though.
Same question…have you spent much time behind one?

What if the finished length was 26"?

I think they look good but like most things beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Attachments

• E7882359-08AD-4423-8EB2-4CF2449DA841.jpeg
    E7882359-08AD-4423-8EB2-4CF2449DA841.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Honestly, if I'm polite enough to put a muffler on my car, why not one on my gun?

I get that it changes ballistics. Not a huge fan of how much length most add. But a BIG fan of the noise reduction, and one can design it differently to account for length and weight, and adjust ballistics accordingly.

And no desire to be a Fudd. Times change.