Hunting Rifle: Anyone Else Have No Desire for a Silencer?

I have a suppressor on an AR and occasionally put it on a couple of my PRS rifles (5.56, 7-08 & 308), but all my hunting rifles are bare, with the exception of my 300, 338 which have breaks (7x57, 284 Win, 270, 308, 300 WM, 338 RUM, 375 H&H). All Sakos and Tikkas, with the exception of the RUM which is a full custom Remington and the 7x57 which is a custom FN Mauser action. I primarily hunt with one of my 270s. Old habits are hard to break.

The suppressor is fun and the cool thing to have, but I don't want to lug the extra wait around for one or two shots. My Sako 270 stainless is a 22" barrel and weighs just under 8lbs, scope and all, which is about as light as I want to go for accuracy reasons. I can pack it or carry it all day and I shoot it well. To old to really change and suppressors are to expensive to have on every gun. Any advantage in a hunting situation is negligible. I'd rather spend my money on other things. JMO

Last edited:
Got my first can last year and never looking back. My ears love me tons and they are a blast to shoot with. Bought a 20" ctr and it is perfect. Took 2 bucks this year and the animals with em didnt know what to do when the shot went off. Also slapped it on the 300win and the ar-15 and a couple of my buddies rifles. Highly recommend extending your rights while you have them and take a 8-9 month wait

Didn't like muzzle brakes until I got way older...now if it's uncomfortable to shoot I muzzle it. Right now I don't care too much for suppressors but down the road who knows.

Yup, Suppressors are a challenge and expensive but I do enjoy shooting with them on some of my rifles and especially custom pistols. I'm in the camp of no can on my hunting rifle due to all the obvious reasons mentioned but I do see more and more guys modifying all their rifles for cans. I'm waiting for enforcement of paperwork to show up since they're becoming so popular. I laugh every time I shoot a can with a shooter that says, "I thought these we silencers" How come their not quiet?

On the contrary, the boss system is threaded I believe with a standard 9/16x24, so you should be able to use an adaptor and/or a 9/16 threaded can mount with no issue. In fact you could still use the turning function with a can, you just won't have the index scale to reference that the brake bodies have.
Thanks for that info. I wonder if anyone has actually tried it.
I saw in antoehr forum where someone used a 9/16-24 to 5/8-24 adopter.....I will investigate

Last edited:
I see a lot of folks are putting silencers on their hunting rifles, even sacrificing ballistic performance by shortening barrels.

Anyone else prefer their hunting rifle to not have a silencer? Maybe I'm old school but I don't have muzzle brakes or silencers on my hunting rifles.
I put fat bastard muzzle brakes and Limbsaver recoil pads on all my high powered rifles. Just makes them enjoyable to shoot….

I see a lot of folks are putting silencers on their hunting rifles, even sacrificing ballistic performance by shortening barrels.

Anyone else prefer their hunting rifle to not have a silencer? Maybe I'm old school but I don't have muzzle brakes or silencers on my hunting rifles.
Well, there's an interesting video on FB, or was?, a 308 bolt action rifle suppressed reaches 138db at the ear. The threshold of hearing damage is in that same range. Maybe it's feasible for a low power cartridge but me, I use electronic ear buds and 7mag with a brake. All good on my end!!👍🏻😆

I like brakes on my big magnums.
I think it helps shoot tighter groups on .300 WM, .338 LM etc.

Otherwise everything else is old school.

No silencers here. I dont want to have anything to do with the cost or the ATF paperwork.

I have found when hunting smaller properties in ares with a lot of hunting pressure using a suppressed gun doesn't spook the already spooky deer as much. On some ranches if somebody shoots once you don't see a deer for the rest of the weekend. Heck I'm hoping all the neighbors shoot unsuppressed so the deer will all spook over to our nice quiet ranch.

My rifles without cans don't get shot as much these days. The benefits are fantastic. I watched my daughter shoot a buck and the doe next to him never even stopped feeding. Less recoil, better ability to see the bullet hit the target, better chance at follow up shots if needed….. why not use one? Besides, I already have moderate high-frequency hearing loss in one ear and just can't afford any more.

I dont have but would like on certain rifles.I was half away at gray light and a whitey snorted at me.I looke dup and it had a huge frame,plus Thanksgiving day.Didnt put my hoop plugs in for first time in eleven years,wind was 45 mph,missed him with braked 338NM,WHAT you say?Plus had my scope ramped up so no follow up shot.Felt like a rookie.Missed ddinner and had settle for a meat buck