Hunting multi day pack or backpacking multi day pack?

Designated hunting packs are definitely heavier and built stronger. I am a big fan of Osprey for regular packing but, for hauling a load, external frame packs with large bags made of heavy material work better. Like ridgewalker I too began hauling using Trapper Nelson's and up until recently still used their bag on an external frame for hauling game taken on day hunts. Years ago I ran into a few internal "A" frame packs that were tough enough to cross over for both regular packing and hunting. They were made by Mountain Equipment Co-op and they lasted for years. The only problem with them was if they got bloody they were very hard to clean and they didn't smell too good as they age. Regular backpacking packs have gotten very light in recent years and that is good for what they are intended, while hunting pack are getting heavier if anything. I have seen hunting packs weigh over eight pounds empty and recreational packs of the same size may weigh half that.

100 pounds of hi-speed, light weight equipment is still 100 pounds.
This is a very true statement. However, I have carried a bone in elk hind quarter 3/4 mile with a Camelback Motherload and I've carried the same load plus more gear 2 miles with a Kuiu 3200 and 6000.
I will not even bring the Camelback to hunting camp anymore!

I tried a few packs. Outdoorsmans, kuiu, alps x (surprisingly good for the $), arc'teryx made usmc ilbe, and settled on the Mystery ranch beartooth 80. For day hunts I use the mule bag attached to the same frame. It works well enough. Once you get over 100lbs, it's going to suck, but maybe just a little less with a good frame and suspension.

I
Designated hunting packs are definitely heavier and built stronger. I am a big fan of Osprey for regular packing but, for hauling a load, external frame packs with large bags made of heavy material work better. Like ridgewalker I too began hauling using Trapper Nelson's and up until recently still used their bag on an external frame for hauling game taken on day hunts. Years ago I ran into a few internal "A" frame packs that were tough enough to cross over for both regular packing and hunting. They were made by Mountain Equipment Co-op and they lasted for years. The only problem with them was if they got bloody they were very hard to clean and they didn't smell too good as they age. Regular backpacking packs have gotten very light in recent years and that is good for what they are intended, while hunting pack are getting heavier if anything. I have seen hunting packs weigh over eight pounds empty and recreational packs of the same size may weigh half that.
Too have carried many many elk out on a trapper nelson. Still have one but will either sell it or use it as Part of a mount. Have some dedicated frames for just packing and a MR Metcalf and another larger pack backpacking and hauling out game.

I also have Eberlistock, good pack but a little heavier and bulkier than my EXO.
I use the EXO 3200 and my Son has the 5500 they compress so well that we use them from day hunts to 3 or 5 day hunts.
My Eberlistock is now used for my workout pack weighted with one or two 25 lb bags of shot.
And as a loaner or backup in camp.

"Hunting packs" usually have features like a fold-out bottom fold-out shelf and/or vertical flaps on each side, all to hold meat bags. Aside from these features I've noticed "hunting packs" have heavier pack cloth.

Pure backpacks do not have these add-on features as they are unnecessary and add weight.

The thing that makes a pack comfortable is being used to the straps cutting into your shoulders. Before elk season, I carry a 50 lb. pack a few miles each day for a couple of weeks. After 3 days, you hardly notice the straps cutting into your shoulders. I started out at age 9 with military surplus packs that had canvas straps with no padding. Even with those, after 3 days I was used to it.

Once I learned how to bone out an animal, I realized that I didn't need a frame. I even take out the aluminum "frame" pieces that come in internal frame packs. My buddy uses a GoLite pack (weighs less than 2 lbs.) to pack elk. He doesn't load it with 100 lbs. of meat, but it works. You'll walk further and hunt better with a light pack. I use a $20 pack I purchased at a gun show. I beefed it up a bit with nylon straps under the bottom. I keep a Speedy Stiching awl at base camp in case I need to repair a pack. I don't understand people who spend hundreds on a pack that probably cost $20 to make and weighs 5 - 7 pounds. At my age (68), I try not to carry 100 lb. packs. I did pack out a cow elk 2 miles in two loads about 3 years ago. My back was fine, but my knees suffered. All of my backpacking gear is ultra lite.

Mnoland30,
Not trying to be disrespectful at all but the modern day hunting packs are leaps and bounds above the old packs and any pack that does not have an interior or exterior frame. I have hunted with those for years (I am 53) before the two fused vertebrae in my lower next told me I had to make a change.
This was hard for me to believe but with a properly fitting hunting pack there should be NO WEIGHT at all on your shoulders. Your hips carry the load. Even with a quarter of an Elk on your back the weight on your shoulders should be minimal. This will not work with our old packs of the day nor will it with packs that do not have some sort of frame system.
Go to EXO Mountain gears web sight and watch their video on how to properly fit a pack. It will really open your eyes. It did mine.
Most All your top of the line hunting packs are capable, in fact designed like this.
With todays materials they are still very light physically and regardless, with their designs you do not notice any extra weight at all.
These packs have added YEARS to my hunting.

FOR THE RECORD I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH ANY OUTDOOR GEAR CO.
Hunting is just a way of life for me and my two Sons and modern equipment has significantly extended my time in the woods with them.