Hunting multi day pack or backpacking multi day pack?

dave_halsey

What is the advantages of a " hunting" multi day pack vs a " backpacking" brand of pack? Is there a need to spend 500+ for a ultralight hunting pack or under 300 for an osprey or a normal mystery ranch pack ot kelty type pack?

I've been wondering the same. The big difference seems like the meat-hauling capacity next to your back, not much otherwise it seems. Each company calls it something different: Seek Outside Breakaway, MR Overload, Kifaru meat shelf, Stone Glacier load shelf, not sure if Kuiu has a special name for that but their Pro LT packs at least have that feature.

Gear organization, meat shelf capability, overall load capacity, and in most cases durability.

Most backpacking style packs are top loaders where hunting packs often benefit from "U" zippers that open then entire pack up and let you load gear all the way down. This is extra weight that backpackers don't want, and extra side pouches for optics and stuff also add extra weight.

The meat shelf thing as mentioned, and being able to separate the pack from the frame or even swap it out.

With load capacity we will take Osprey's hybrid trampoline suspension system as an example. It feels amazing and can handle the reasonable loads intended for hikers and backpackers. If you are carrying out chunks of animal you are going to exceed the weight limit and the suspension is going to flatten out and become uncomfortable. Hunting packs may not feel as amazing when you put them on but they are better designed to support the really heavy loads and will reduce fatigue once maxed out.

Durability, in that backpacking packs are typically a lighter denier nylon where hunting packs tend to be a bit heavier for abrasion and tear resistance when you aren't just walking along a beaten trail.

My backpacking pack is a gossamer mariposa, super light weight as long as pack weight stays under 35lbs, a joy for me to use for 7 day trips. The rest of my clan use osprey and are happy with them. That being said, they are not hunting packs, materials used to build them are way to thin for bush wacking and hauling meat. To me if your interested in a hunting pack, the money will be well spent on a pack for that purpose but like all of us, we have gear that is specialized for each purpose. That pack will work for hunting but not so great as solely a backpacking pack. Just my opinion

As others have mentioned, make certain the bag is durable. I have hauled meat out using a Trapper Nelson (does that age me?), Lowe internal frame top loader, Kelty external frame, Dwight Shuh, Madden top load internal, and I'm sure I forgot one. The external frames are easier on me, but they all worked. A dedicated frame (Cabelas, Alps, etc) are the easiest to lash to. The internal frame top loaders can get pretty nasty hauling, but you just wash them out.
I never carried a tent, only a small tarp to use to cook under and cover my gear and a bivi bag to sleep in. I moved daily trying to end the day overlooking a good ambush site. Occasionally for a weekend hunt I only cold camped. Man did I miss my morning coffee!
Hunting alone backpacking in is an experience everyone should try especially ending up having to haul an elk out by yourself!
JMO&E

I asked myself the same question a couple of years ago. I ended up with an EXO K3 3200- it fit my needs well. I like the load shelf, and even bought their accessory for getting the load even higher (or removing the bag altogether and still having a shelf). The more durable materials seemed to fit the bill better for tough country as well vs a "backpacking" company's pack. Then there is also the support- from hunting minded folks, and their accessories for things like rifle mounting, organization, etc.

All of this can be achieved with a backpacking pack, just not as seamlessly or without a great deal of creativity.

My Step Son is a budding (well on his way) professional photographer and has been going through "back packing packs" like crazy to find one he really likes and has a couple real nice ones now that work great for when he packs into high mountain lakes and such. I have really looked them over and couldn't imagine using one for the kind of "off trail" hunting I and I am sure most of us on here do. For reasons others on here have already stated.

Another HUGE reason I stay with "hunting" packs is that I KNOW these company's support my (Our) way of life!

Who knows what kind of anti hunting groups some of these "granola companies" support.

You will get my EXO pack off of my back about the same time you pry my gun or bow from my cold dead hands! 😁

My Step Son is a budding (well on his way) professional photographer and has been going through "back packing packs" like crazy to find one he really likes and has a couple real nice ones now that work great for when he packs into high mountain lakes and such. I have really looked them over and couldn't imagine using one for the kind of "off trail" hunting I and I am sure most of us on here do. For reasons others on here have already stated.

Another HUGE reason I stay with "hunting" packs is that I KNOW these company's support my (Our) way of life!

Who knows what kind of anti hunting groups some of these "granola companies" support.

You will get my EXO pack off of my back about the same time you pry my gun or bow from my cold dead hands! 😁
That is probably the best reason I have heard so far. This settles it... now it's down to kuiu, sitka, exo or stone glacier (5,000+) for colorado next year hopefully.

By the way Dave, nice buck in your avatar!
A good Muley is the one thing I am missing. They are hard to come by here in North Idaho. I have killed some decent Bull Elk and WT. Tail and Black Bear mostly with Longbow or recurve but have yet to get a good Mule deer.