Hunting jacket liner

The first outer layer needs to be Quiet, second keep me dry but if it gets wet still warm1 This describes wool! it comes in many finishes from hard to soft. Next, I have had the oppertunith to use many of our special ops clothing, silk base layer, next waffle, and then polar fleece. With layers, you can avoid sweating chills, and hypothermia!

1654260112599.png

Guys and gals I love the look and to some extent the feel of one of my nice wool vests but I don't use them for hunting/hiking etc anymore. A vest similar to the one above is 10X the vest that a wool one will ever be.

And for years I was a major wool and or Carhart fan. But these darn synthetics are tons lighter and warmer as well! Far and away a better mouse trap my friends....think about checking into something like this.

My main use is a Kuiu guide vestals have there other lighter vest, then it the ultra down puffy for real cold days, under my guide jacket.My favorite cold day rig jacket is my KOM, and love the 2 way zipper.

My main use is a Kuiu guide vestals have there other lighter vest, then it the ultra down puffy for real cold days, under my guide jacket.My favorite cold day rig jacket is my KOM, and love the 2 way zipper.

At one time I had KOM pants, gators, shirt jack and vest. I've kept the pants which I wear in extreme weather and gave away the other 3 items as I found them too heavy and easier to replace them with lighter and warmer gear...the pants have been incredible as I've run them fairly hard for 25 years or so.

Still have a heavy set that Stand hunt in some archery, and I run my bunlites sometimes, real cozy
IMG_2094.jpeg

Last edited:
Just switched to a Kuiu Super Down Pro this season, and it has absolutely been a game changer for me. (They go on sale several times a year) Not too cold yet only 12-15. Crazy light, packs tiny, incredible warmth and ventilation. Take it on and off several times a day and I have eliminated two layers of Merino allowing me to not heat up and cool faster.

Which would be the warmest jacket liner you would wear under a hunting coat for maximum warmth? I have a thinsulate, wool, and also down.
It boils down to personal preference and personal condition. My hunting buddy gets cold very easily, and I am opposite him. I earned the nickname "Eskimo Ed" because I can tolerate the cold weather. 🤣 When I am moving, I can get away with just my miltary issue sleep shirt and without a jacket. The key is layering; keep your head, toes, and hands warm and dry, and you'll last longer out in the cold.