Hunting jacket liner

moetzmoe

Which would be the warmest jacket liner you would wear under a hunting coat for maximum warmth? I have a thinsulate, wool, and also down.

personally, i like some sort of fleece. our deer season ends on january 1st though and a cold day in the stand is in the mid 30's and that's pretty rare most years. so it's really not that cold. the wind is what gets me, so i like to have a wind proof top.

If you have a chance of getting wet (rain, etc), wool would be the best choice. It doesn't lose it's insulation factor when wet. It does take longer to dry out. Down is useless when it gets wet, but in dry conditions it is very good. Thinsulate might be a compromise, thin (not heavy) dries quickly, but still provides some insulation. It breathes well (lets moisture out, but keeps you dry if raining) if sandwiched with some Gore-Tex.

Which would be the warmest jacket liner you would wear under a hunting coat for maximum warmth? I have a thinsulate, wool, and also down.

Wow what an open ended questions....seriously tons of ways to go with this. For me, it'd be a vest that has a good zipper that goes well up the neck. The vest would be synthetic and have wind stopper in it. I wear a vest about 5 months of the year, for me it works. (but not a wool or carhart type of one, as much as I like them they're too heavy and cumbersome)

There are many solutions to this question...but first what are you doing and what time of year... early on i would look at a wool or synthetic to help wick moisture from your body. As the days get shorter and temps colder and or reduced activity, I tend to go with heavier liners. Wool, fleece, and down. it just maters what you are doing and where you are at...lots of good qualiy clothing out there...

In my opinion, down is best for dry conditions, especially when sitting on a stand. Wool is best for wet conditions. Wind stopping outer layer help in windy conditions. Bring layers so you can adjust based on walking vs sitting.

That new stuff Banded has is paper thin and weighs nothing. Have to keep it dry though with layers. Been duck hunting in 0 temps with my coat half unzipped. was blowing a call though, not sitting still shivering. Its great stuff if you keep it dry.

I hunt in cold weather and follow the experts by using layers of light clothing. My standard over jacket has one of those hoods that zips right up to your nose and is filled with synthetic down. It's long enough to cover my rear end and the bottom has a cord that adjusts for tightness so wind can't blow up under. I wear zip-up fleece underneath because I can regulate my body temperature just by pulling down the zipper. The bottom layer is usually a zip-up turtle neck of some kind. On windy days, and I know this will sound weird, I wear an ultralight windproof running jacket under my main jacket. It seems to work better than trying to wear something over it. I hunt in temperatures that are well below freezing for most of November and into December and hike outdoors the rest of the winter in this outfit.

I have a First Lite furnace that would be about the warmest I would go, over a base layer and under another coat for the type of hunting I do. I also have a First Lite Brooks down sweater that I could throw on top of that. If it's wet, there's no way that could be my outer layer, the DWR continues to fail. So down or wool would get my vote. I have about 3-4 layers of wool that I can layer on the top and 3 on the bottom, add a down sweater on top and I'm almost hot. Throw a big puffy over it all and it gets hot enough that it'd be hard to cover any ground in low temps without breaking into a good sweat.

I get cold very easily. I hunt primarily in the mountains of western Virginia usually at altitudes between 2400 and 4000 ft asl. If I'm walking a long way in, I will just wear a base layer of thin wool. I pack a good wind stopping outter jacket and a liner of either fleece, primaloft, or down. This fits in with what everyone else has said, but I will add one thing to think about. The most important part of my kit for cold weather is a warm fleece neck gaiter. You have temperature sensory organs in your carotid arteries that send information to the brain about temperature differentials. If you keep your neck warm you won't shiver as much.

I proved this point this fall while hunting. I was wearing a battery heated synthetic puffy vest under all my normal hunting clothes but was absent my neck gaiter. despite the battery heating, I froze my buns off.