Hunting In Utah

I may take a job that will require me to move to SLC. I am curious about the hunting oppurtunities in Utah. What are my chances of drawing and elk, deer, etc... tags each year? Colorado is just a short drive so if it is difficult I always have a back up

Utah has limited entry hunts and OTC hunts. OTC elk are first come first serve and often sell out. OTC elk is very average, LE is INCREDIBLE.

Plan on putting in for over 10 years for a decent LE elk tag.

Deer -- general season is very average but improving. State split up into 5 regions. LE tags are good, still have to put in for many years.

You can hunt deer and elk every year, If you get tags before they sell out.

Hope that helps.

I just moved from Idaho about two years ago. I must say that Utah makes hunting too **** difficult, with their limited entry drawings. I know people that get all excited about getting their name in some drawing only to not get selected. My biggest regret when moving here was not somehow keeping my Idaho residence. In Idaho I could buy an over the counter deer or elk tag and simply go hunting pretty much where I wanted, without telling some two bit beaurocrat where I was going. I live in NE Utah now and if you drive on the highway through a general OTC area, every SOB that ever shot a rifle, worn camo, or drank watered down Bud Light is parked on the shoulder of the highway with spacing about every 100 yards. I think I would start wearing kevlar with ceramic plates and camo if I hunted around here, simply for my own protection. Until I get brave enough to hunt near all these drunken, tough-guy, rambo types, I think I will just hunt in Idaho.

Utah

I may take a job that will require me to move to SLC. I am curious about the hunting oppurtunities in Utah. What are my chances of drawing and elk, deer, etc... tags each year? Colorado is just a short drive so if it is difficult I always have a back up

Great chances for elk in Colorado. Utah has great opportunity...and both states have a bunch of regs and drawing process you'll need to get acquainted with. Your biggest hurdle will be for either state I believe you'll need a few months under your belt to be considered a resident.

We talk a bunch about CO and Utah on our site and podcast - BowCast.com - Home. I am from CO and my Co-host is from Utah. Check out the site and you'll find some great resources on those two states (among many others).

I agree with everyone that the draw system is a joke. I have put in for 7 years now on a limited entry deer hunt and have not drawn the tag at all. I can put in for colorado as a non residence and draw almost every year but not in the state that I reside in. The general hunt is not as bad as lr6mm makes it seem, although it is not very good either. I have found that if you are a real hunter and don't mind a good hike, you can get away from any crowd and find animals just fine. I have also found that the opener of the northern general hunt is the worst time. It usually opens on a saturday and by monday you are pretty much all alone because everyone only hunts the opener and then calls it quits. The opener can get pretty bad, but like I said if you are willing to put in the time and effort to hike in and get away from the roads then you will be just fine.

Moved from WY to UT 3 years ago (family), and forget hunting UT unless you have lots of money. While the state provides combat hunting for 2 pt deer, you can buy any specie and class if you have the money. Take notice of your state and do not let them follow UT's lead, it ruins hunting for 95% of the residents.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.