Hunting in Texas, first time flying with a rifle.

Oliveralan

Hey everyone,

My title may have been a little misleading as i wasn't sure exactly what to write.

I live in Virginia and on wednesday (nov 25th) My dad and I will be flying from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport to San Antonio, TX (the domestic airport, not sure of the name, my dad booked the flight) We will be flying with United. I am not sure of what to do with the rifle, i will have it in a locked hard case unloaded with the bolt removed. Is there anything i should make sure the check in guys do or don't do? Also what about ammunition? It says it must be in the original box, what about handloads? if i have them in plastic hard cases is this ok? Any pointers about flying with a firearm would be much appriciated.

Also, if anyone want's to drop a tip about things to look for when hunting free ranging hogs in TX, or any information relating to hog hunting texas feel free to do so.

Thanks,
Oliver

I am not sure of what to do with the rifle, i will have it in a locked hard case unloaded with the bolt removed. Is there anything i should make sure the check in guys do or don't do?
If you don't have a hard case already you plan to use, get a good one. Especially if it's a custom rifle like a lot of guys on this site use, it's worth a Pelican, Storm, etc. Read over the TSA site on Firearms and print it out. Also read and print United's firearms policy. Just make sure you - and the employees - follow that policy and you'll be alright. Do not use TSA locks.
Also what about ammunition? It says it must be in the original box, what about handloads? if i have them in plastic hard cases is this ok?
The TSA rules are less restrictive than most majors about how ammo is carried. The airlines can require factory boxes if they want. If that's what it says, put the ammo in a factory box. A reloader plastic box is not the same. It doesn't even matter if it's the right caliber factory box! Just make the fudds happy. They can make your trip a living hell if they get the urge, so go by the book, and have the book handy just in case.

I do have a hard case, not a Pelican but it's not too shabby either. I will probably take off the scope and put it in my hand luggage so it doesn't get thrown around, I think my rifle will surive the trip like this, just afraid of then taking my precious handloads. I will be taking around 250-300rounds of ammo, and I haven't bought any factory ammo in a while. I have one factory Winchester box (20rnds) and a old box I bought some remanufactured milsurp in. I'll pad the box and put some rounds in there, then do the same to some boxes where my 12ga shells came in, i'll pack as many as I can in ammo boxes, rest will go in plastic reloading boxes and I'll just say that's the original packaging, which technically is true. I'll say it was slipped into those right after being manufactured and was never in another box. Technically that makes them the original packaging, right?

oliver, I don't think what you posted in the the above post is the same as the advice that nomad is giving you. You may want to go back and reread his post. Since the N Y towers attack airlines are fortuantely very particular about any form of guns, ammo, potential explosives etc. permitted on airplanes. I hope they stay that way with the planes I am on.

You could always flat rate ship to your destination and pic it up at the post office or your outfitter. If you know where you will be staying you could overnight it or use ground shipping. Just make sure you allow time for delivery. That might be easier than trying to get it on the plane.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.