Hunting in Saskatchewan Canada

leslie naylor

Need some advice from you guys in SK.Got a job offer based possible Lloydminster/Saskatoon/Regina/Estevan where would be the best place to pitch for.
1/shooting ranges
2/deer hunting
3/varminting
4/wildfowling
Need to get my priorities sorted.Also possible a little fishing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i don't live in Sask. but i used to spend 3-4 months out of the year there,for several years, when i was addicted to whitetail deer.i once tried to get a job and become a resident of Sask. 2 times i found a job,but had to go through the unemployment office to work there. both times they gave the job to an unemployed local. neither guy wanted to work, and both employers didn't want to hire the locals. it sounds like you have a better employment situation than i had. good luck with the job.

as far as what city...i would take Lloydminster for a couple of reasons.it's the farthest to the north and west. by that i mean the southern part of Sask. is dominated by wide open wheat/grain fields and the northern half is all bush(that's canadian for woods)the best hunting for deer is the part that has both.Lloyd is in or closest to this fringe area.fishing is north, waterfowl is everywhere.

the second reason i would take Lloyd is that it's right on the border of Sask and Alberta.they refer to it as "the border city" you could hunt/fish in both provinces.if you got a whitetail/mule deer or antelope in one province,you could still hunt the other.you can obviously do this from the other cities but it would take a whole bunch more driving.from a hunting/fishing perspective,Lloydminster would be my heavy favorite.

I live just outside of Regina on a farm and this area is great for Whitetail deer hunting and as for shooting ranges you can go anywhere around here and shoot as far as you want. I shoot from a bench ten feet from my door. Now as far as fishing there are a few lakes within 30 miles of Regina but they are full of recreational boaters so you have to go about 3 hours north of Saskatoon to get into the good fishing lakes. Lloydminister, Alberta would make a good choice. It has some good fishing near by. Lots of deer, moose, wolves and you name it and the taxes you pay living in Alberta compared to Sask make it very attractive. Also 2 hours south of Lloyd is the Cronic Wasting Disease Depredation zone. In this zone you can shoot as many deer as you want. it is a great spot to hone your longrange hunting skills. Just ask Ian. There varmints everywhere here in Sask. from gophers to coyote to crows and magpies.

hope this helps you out with your decision.

Thanks all.
I have the big meeting over here later this month,Should take 6/8 months to get over to SK.Any other information. emails would be most appreciated.

There are some serious LR shooters at Lloydminster, you would enjoy that place as far as hunting opportunities. Rest of the province varies, there is a very nice range near Nokomis that is looking for members, excellent facility, puts on target-weenie shoots regularly - believe they shoot well past 1000 yards, only shot there once since it is an hour and a half drive from home.
S'toon and Regina are a pain in the butt to locate shooting spots - too many people - have to drive at least 45 minutes to get to decent locations. They are out there but require searching and driving.
If you move here you will find the winters long, summers short, spring and fall are the best seasons but again they are way too short. Hunting is relatively easy, lots of public land and a lot of private land that access is easy to obtain.
Good luck with your decision.

I live in Regina we have 2 outdoor ranges, 2 pistol clubs and a new trap and skeet range. If you are willing to drive a bit there a tremendous gopher patches to shoot. Lots of coyotes etc. Saskatoon is a nice city but doesn't have the shooting clubs regina does. Housing in sask is still relitvly cheap compared to Alberta. Lots of guys around sask are big into longe range hunting etc and of course the nicest people in the world live here, Me Ian Alucard etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks again gents.
Definitely seems you have a problem with all those White tails.Will be a pleasure helping out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aficionado...might as well start off correct..."Whitetail"...all one word, or the natives will think your from somewhere else! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Have to agree with others i live in spiritwood sask about 130 miles north west of saskatoon and 130 north east of lloyd and i would not want to live any where else. The hunting and fishing are some of the best any where and only have to drive minutes to hunt moose, deer,coyotes. Lots of fishing with in 50 miles.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.