Hunting in North carolina?

Fotis

Since this is the General forum I figured i will post this here. I will be retiring soon from the USAF and the wife and I are looking at Raliegh NC for a permanent move.

Living in Wyoming obviously I am spoiled so I gotta ask.\
What is hunting there like? Limits? Big game small game etc. Thanx

POP, Congrats on the retiring. I put in 26 in the AF and I decided to stay here in MT. Anyway, my daughter and her hubby are living in NC now. A deer license gave my son-in-law six tags he could fill. Also, there is an area in eastern NC that has some of the biggest black bears in the country. But I can assure you that you have been spoiled being out here in the west. Hope Warren was good for ya. Good Luck,
Jim

Hey POP,

Happy retirement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RE: NC - too **** many trees /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I'd recommend Alpine or Pine Dale WY. You can fly from Jackson to NC any time you wish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well POP the hunting here is from marginal in some areas to great in other areas.
My local area (Eastern area) which is about 2 hours from Raleigh has the longest season of the state which runs from around October 15th to January first unless the first is on sunday like this year then it's the 2nd.
The deer population in this area is high and your allowed to harvest does anytime during the season. The bucks are usually plenty but unless your on some private land or a member of a managed club they usually are not record class ( 150 and up in my book).
There are good chances to harvest 120 to 140 class whitetails in my area and the Raleigh area. I usually see a couple in this range at the local taxidermist during the season.
The bag limits vary a little by area. It's 6 deer but in some areas 4 must be antlerless and other areas only 2 must be antlerless with a 2 per day limit for all areas.
Bear hunting is scattered out through the state with seasons that vary like the wind so it's best if you read the rule book and know the county you will be hunting in good because some seasons are divided by highways and or interstates.
Here is a link to the rules and regs for the state on big game hunting it also shows the season dates for big game and the areas I refered to in my post. I'm in the Eastern maximum season which is highlited in green. I think you would also be in this area in Raleigh. rules and regs
There is a couple of magazines that are published that offer good info on NC hunting and fishing if you would like a copy of them email me your addy and I will pick up a copy and send em to you.
Hope this helps a little.

Those big blackies that were mentioned reside about 30 min from my door. The biggest taken in my county was 540 pounds.
The state record is 880 pounds taken a couple of years ago. The 880 may also be the world record but I had herd rumors of one being killed over 900 in some other state.
There was a 700 pounder harvested in that same county this past season.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.