Hunting in East Texas

duckinalaska

Now fellow Texans,
Any of you guys hunt in East Texas? I just got orders to Tyler, TX and was wondering if you guys had any input. Even though it's three hours from the deer camp in Arkansas, I was wanting to hang around East Texas for some hunting. Any info will help alot.
Thanks,
Brandon

Well, Texas is 97 percent privately owned so you will need to investigate some private large land owners or call up some timber companies to try and get on a lease somewhere. Temple has a lot of land in SE Texas (Jasper and Newton Co) that is open to the public, but I do not think they allow that up your way. Best bets would most likely be International Paper, Temple and then the others. Try to get on some land towards Jacksonville.

There are pigs everywhere, but they migrate through the majority of the uplands and congregate in the sloughs and river bottoms. If you have water and thick-nasty, you will have hogs. Whether you will see them in the daytime is another story.

[ QUOTE ]
There are pigs everywhere, but they migrate through the majority of the uplands and congregate in the sloughs and river bottoms. If you have water and thick-nasty, you will have hogs. Whether you will see them in the daytime is another story.

[/ QUOTE ]

This above statement is very true. If you really follow pig hunting the word chum and feed bins comes up alot. Pigs devistate a places natural food supply pretty fast. Pigs are also smart. You put hunting pressure on them and they are gone. Chum and feed piles keep them around and then your hunting are your terms and location.

I've spent some time in Alaska. My buddy has Salt/mineral licks up on 7 foot posts. No wonder he has so many moose moving through his property.

You can do some research online through the tax apraisal districts. Send out blind letters to property owners. Bow hunting only, is a big advantage to get on a lease. Also be prepared to pay for insurance and a copy of Hunter Certification Card regardless of age. I'd look around Livingston, and Lufkin. There have been some large bucks killed up there that past few years. The paper companies usually do not permit cutting any trees for any reason be it atv paths, for feeders, blinds etc. No permanent blinds. They don't want anything hurting the trees. Sometimes even national forest approved climbing stands are not permitted so find out all this before you sign up. Private land would be best but the folks down here have made a hughe industry out of hunting.

Lance

Bud,
Alaska is nice, at the most four months out of a year. I'm just ready to get back down to my roots. I can shoot year round down there. It also seems like it's a act of congress to hunt any of the big game up here. Like you have to be five mile off of the road, and no motorized vehicles authorized and moose have to be 50+ inches. I guess I am just spoiled down Suth because I can just go to the camp and take my four wheeler out and start shooting.
Thanks,
Brandon

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.