Hunting in autumn/winter vs hunting in spring/summer in Italy. Animals disappearing in grass, hunting style, bipods

I will look into it, thanks! I live in Milan, i work here in a hospital, but hunt in the hills of oltrepò pavese. Google it, it's an amazing place. I also hunted in the alps and in the swamps next to pavia. I have been to asiago, nice place with a great history, especially ww1 related. Huge battles between italians and austrohungarians took place there
Nice I'll look into it later today. I've traveled quite a bit in mid and northern Italy Love it there. Especially like the area around San Jimmy Domo (think I just spelled that wrong.) My oldest daughter lives in Switzerland.

Nice I'll look into it later today. I've traveled quite a bit in mid and northern Italy Love it there. Especially like the area around San Jimmy Domo (think I just spelled that wrong.) My oldest daughter lives in Switzerland.
You definitely spelled it wrong ahah, check it out man. Also check the dolomites, where we can hunt chamois, i have a second house there. Amazing place. If you are in northern Italy tell me, maybe we manage to go on a hunt togheter

You definitely spelled it wrong ahah, check it out man. Also check the dolomites, where we can hunt chamois, i have a second house there. Amazing place. If you are in northern Italy tell me, maybe we manage to go on a hunt togheter
Definitely love to take you up on that! I live in Northwest Montana and we hunt all over the state. So mostly elk and antelope and if we ever get lucky sheep, bison etc
That's why we use that hatch bipod. It goes from 7 in to 36 in it can go you be used as a bipod a monopod or a shooting stick. The website is called hatch out I also use a product called quick Stix for trucking pole adapters... Manufacturer's is wiser precision... Hope this helps.

simon, I failed to mention, that my sticks easily offer a relatively stable 44" (at crossing point of sticks) shooting platform! memtb

Simone, devi vedere una cosa…I'll finish in English. The TALL Harris bipod can get you above the vegetation quite nicely in many cases. Sitting on a foam folding stadium style seat and using a hasty type sling, stability is second only to prone. I've been using this for years when the grass gets too high. I even have some aftermarket extensions that add even more height for those situations where I'm sitting on a hillside facing downhill. With the bipod completely collapsed, you can put a backpack under your chest and it's good enough prone that way in some instances. I usually just carry a standard Harris with and will switch back and forth between the two bipods as needed. Mi raccomando;)

Attachments

• IMG_1007.jpeg
    IMG_1007.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5050.jpeg
    IMG_5050.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0261.jpeg
    IMG_0261.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
Simone, devi vedere una cosa…I'll finish in English. The TALL Harris bipod can get you above the vegetation quite nicely in many cases. Sitting on a foam folding stadium style seat and using a hasty type sling, stability is second only to prone. I've been using this for years when the grass gets too high. I even have some aftermarket extensions that add even more height for those situations where I'm sitting on a hillside facing downhill. With the bipod completely collapsed, you can put a backpack under your chest and it's good enough prone that way in some instances. I usually just carry a standard Harris with and will switch back and forth between the two bipods as needed. Mi raccomando;)

😳 Your photos show you hunting in a lot flatter stuff than offered in some of the shots we've found ourselves offered! memtb

Last edited:
It's flat(er) out in the eastern plains of Colorado than up in the mountains or Dolomites, etc. It makes it really hard to get shots sometimes, but that is a difference from hunting predators where you can pick a "stand" vs spotting and attempting to get to a suitable shooting position. Going from 10" off the ground to almost 3' makes a huge difference. I've used a tripod and it has it's usefulness, but although light, it's still bulky to hump around miles at a time.

Interesting. Just a question, why didn't you la with the bipod on the backpack directly? Did you have to take a shot from sitting?

The grass was almost 30" tall. It was necessary to install a couple lengths to each leg.

Alas, last year, while dragging a buck down a steep hill, the buck caught up with me and hit me behind the knee like we used to do to a friend in school. In school we didn't keep pushing on the back of the knee or were not on a steep hill. The deer kept pushing. Anyway, I fell backwards on the backpack. I laid there for a couple minutes, contemplating my age at 78 and wondering how badly I was hurt, since I really hurt. Then I realized the pain was worse in the center of my back, but the rest of me was sorta OK.

I discovered the pain in my back was caused by a rock about 6" diameter and protruding from the ground about 3" - 4". I checked the contents of the backpack. The B-Squar was broken and two rolls of toilet paper were flattened. Thank the Lord for the cushion.

The rifle stock didn't fair as well. Right on the "cheek weld" must have hit a rock also, but t didn't have two rolls of toilet paper to cushion it. The fiberglass or carbon fiber got smashed in 1/16" - 1/8". None the worse for ware, though, it doesn't scrape or pinch my face.

The grass was almost 30" tall. It was necessary to install a couple lengths to each leg.

Alas, last year, while dragging a buck down a steep hill, the buck caught up with me and hit me behind the knee like we used to do to a friend in school. In school we didn't keep pushing on the back of the knee or were not on a steep hill. The deer kept pushing. Anyway, I fell backwards on the backpack. I laid there for a couple minutes, contemplating my age at 78 and wondering how badly I was hurt, since I really hurt. Then I realized the pain was worse in the center of my back, but the rest of me was sorta OK.

I discovered the pain in my back was caused by a rock about 6" diameter and protruding from the ground about 3" - 4". I checked the contents of the backpack. The B-Squar was broken and two rolls of toilet paper were flattened. Thank the Lord for the cushion.

The rifle stock didn't fair as well. Right on the "cheek weld" must have hit a rock also, but t didn't have two rolls of toilet paper to cushion it. The fiberglass or carbon fiber got smashed in 1/16" - 1/8". None the worse for ware, though, it doesn't scrape or pinch my face.

Rich, about 25 years ago a local minister had something similar happen. He was dragging a deer down a steep draw, the deer got a bit of a sliding start, hit the preacher, he went down……with his femoral artery cut by the deer antler. 🙀 He died right there in that ravine with his deer! 😟 memtb

Last edited:
Thanks man, that's interesting. I am wondering if with my hunting style (stalking and hiking a lot and sometimes shooting also offhand) this setup won't be too cumbersome or front heavy

Edit: parli italiano caro compagno cacciatore?

Wow man, 78 and still rocking! I hope i can get that fit to your age. That toilet paper touche the apex of the existence of the poop cleaning stuff for ethernity btw

I looked up the dolomites area...WOW that is a spectacular area and tops our area here in Montana. Love to go to Italy again.
Here is the web site hatchoutwest.com bipod weights 22.4 oz goes from 7" to 36" ( took a nice elk useing the bipod in 2. feet of snow this season) used as a monopod 16.5 to 40" shooting stick set up goes from 29" to 76" ....we hunt very similar to your style...hiking all day and having the bipod on the rifle has not been any issue. Ciao :)