Hunting from a blind in snowy very cold weather- 2b in NM

wildcat westerner

We shall be trying to draw for the 2b area for the late season archery hunt in New Mexico, which is a quality hunt, especially if the Colorado Mulie migration occurs at that time. This is high altitude with apparently substantial snow and cold weather. I have been informed that the snow is not only deep but crunchy, making stalking very difficult, thus a blind seems like a good idea. If you have used blinds in very cold weather I would appreciate your information you may care to share with me, about everything involved for successful hunting for late season Mulies. Thank you in advance

WW

Find some, well used Trails near, a Saddle and, Dress,.. WARM.
My Blind hunting experience has been, mostly Elk Bow hunting over,.. Water holes.
BUT, the known, Mule Deer, Bow Hunters that, I know ( and I have done so, twice Myself ) have found that, Migrating Mulie's, like crossing Saddles and that, proved to be, the best Place to, set up.
Make SURE that, you have, a couple of Good, clear, "Shooting Lanes" and the Blind must be, set up,.. OUT of,.. the Wind Paths ( Watch your Scent ! ).
Set up for 25 yard to, no more than 50 yd., Shots, as sitting in a chair and shooting, a Bow can be, a Bit tougher !
Good luck and Shoot straight !

Last edited:
We hunt in cold all the time. If you are going to use a blind, which if nothing else helps cut the wind, and want to be able to sit for long periods of time, you need to sit up off the ground. Depending on just how cold it is you either need a sleeping bag, a Heater Body suit or an external heat source like a Little Buddy Heater. A great deal of what combination you choose is dependant on how far you need to hike all this stuff in. Also, once set up can you leave the blind and gear over night safely etc. One thing to watch for is most blinds with fibre poles do not tolerate snow load or heavy winds well. So again, depending on how cold, how windy and how snowy, impacts the choice of blinds. Window choice also is affected by temp, at -35 F those nifty plastic windows shatter. The mesh windows don't block wind well. Avoid the Velcro window flaps style, they are quite noisy even warm and get louder as it gets colder.

Check out Ameristep blinds. Not cheap but it gives you a starting point.

Never used one of these but they look pretty good and made for the cold

Good luck.

Last edited:
I hunted Canadian geese in the northern most extreme areas of NY. It was brutally cold and I wore so much heavy clothes that I could barely swing my shotgun. All the other guys in the extended blind had 20lb propane tanks and double burner heads on them. I'm not sure how a deer might react to the smell but it just might beat freezing to the point that you can't draw your bow.

I hunted Canadian geese in the northern most extreme areas of NY. It was brutally cold and I wore so much heavy clothes that I could barely swing my shotgun. All the other guys in the extended blind had 20lb propane tanks and double burner heads on them. I'm not sure how a deer might react to the smell but it just might beat freezing to the point that you can't draw your bow.
Inside a blind the little buddy heater will keep you warm and they use 1lb bottles for a 6 hour burn. They don't produce much odour. You can get a hose to hook them to a 5, 10 or 20 lb bottle as well.