Hunting Fire Burns

How many years after a fire do you guys like to go in and hunt an area? One of my favorite blacktail deer spots burned last year and I was wondering if it would be holding deer the year after? I have always heard of people hunting 2-3 year old burns but not one year.

I don't know that but after a year with all the ash on the ground that grass grows in pretty green. Probably see deer moving on in here pretty soon.

Same thing here in northern Nevada. Biggest fire in Nevada history. I turned in my license for that area in 2018 due to the fire. Got "points" for turning in my tag that did not help in 2019 when trying for antelope tags.

Eric B.

Some variability on how hot the fire burned, basic grass fires often green up the next time it rains. Some brush and timber burns can be a little slower to green up.

Depending on how hot the fire burned, I have seen deer in an area that burned 3 months prior. If there is any sort of vegetation growing I would guess there would be deer using it.

Usually the next year is just fine... I am also in MT and started hunting the 2017 burns the following year. In one area critters were pulled into the burn from 5-10 miles away because of the quality of new forage. If it's a large/hot burn, stick to the edges. OnX can help with the satellite view, you can easily tell what areas were burned over too hot.

Thanks, I have X-Hunt GPS for Nevada and Ill check it for the burn area. But the downside is walking through the blackened, sooty burn area. It's just d@mn dirty. Gonna make boning out a dirty job too.

Eric B.

I have always gone with 2 years after is best. But, if there are green shoots of grass growing the following year it could be very good! Especially with the increased visibility that the burn provides.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts