Hunting ear protection

Shooting a new 28 nosler with loud brake. What is everyone using for easy to access earplugs? Looking for something to wear around my neck and put in quick prior to shooting.
I use electronic earmuffs that amplify sound until you fire a shot and then they muffle everything. I highly suggest them as they help me hear deer walking from about 150 to 200 yards away if you are in heavy cover or in the morning as deer are stiring from their bedding spots, they even keep my ears warm. I will say this, have extra batteries. Mine last about 4 hours in the cold before I have to switch them out. Also be prepared for the first time you wear them, I was a bit disoriented for the first hour as my brain adjusted to sound only coming from two directions but you get pretty use to it.

Shooting a new 28 nosler with loud brake. What is everyone using for easy to access earplugs? Looking for something to wear around my neck and put in quick prior to shooting. The Bluetooth will run independently of the NR/enhancement functions. Long battery life.
Big fan of Axil products, GS Extreme w/Bluetooth. Noise reduction and Bluetooth with hearing enhancement. Highly recommend them.

I use the plastic reusable ones that look like barbs and are connected by a string. I tie it loosly around my neck so I can pop them in quickly. The seal instantly, no wait for foam to expand. Still a pain in close where you need both your ears to hear and pinpoint direction. Going to try a suppressor.

Walker Razor Slim ... like another poster, I got them for use with shotgun sports and when I read reviews of people using them to hear deer noises that they would not hear otherwise, I was sold. Great for hunting from a blind but very easy to talk to other shotgun shooters so other than running down batteries and making my ears sweat, no reason I could not leave them on. I got the bluetooth model and convinced myself that I shoot sporting clays better with 80's hair band background music ;-)

You guys are slacking, can't believe it took this long.

SUPPRESSOR !
I second this. If it's possible in your state I would bite the bullet and get whatever you can cram into your budget. I wish I had taken the plunge sooner, I always carried earplugs (Howard Leight) but often didn't have the time or attention to stick them in. Many aren't cheap but I would say most of us have spent enough on a second or third (or 4th, etc) rifle that we couldn't honestly claim we can't afford it. For the cost of a midrange scope or rifle you could have the most practical hearing protection for hunting, and it's well worth it. My .02

Shooting a new 28 nosler with loud brake. What is everyone using for easy to access earplugs? Looking for something to wear around my neck and put in quick prior to shooting.
I would recommend sport ear from Axil. I'm 50 and have been shooting since I was 4 have have 70%+ loss in both ears. Five years ago, doc told me the next bad one could be last and and be completely without hearing. I did my research and found sport ears and have never regretted the decision. I chose the custom fit option and wear them at the range with ear muffs and when hunting they are all I use. Doesn't matter if I'm sitting in the stand for three to six hours or on the mountain chasing elk and mule deer from sun up to sun down, I wear them religiously. The sound enhancement is great and directional sound is amazing. It's a one time investment with its weight in gold in my opinion.

I bought these a couple months ago. Used them shooting a few times. Work well. Can hear everything around me . Blocks gunfire well. Going to use this season for hunting . I couldn't pass up the sale price. Two friends bought at same time . They both like also. I'm half deaf and wear hearing aids anyway so the enhanced sound pick up helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200523-160450.png
    Screenshot_20200523-160450.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 178
I went with the Peltor earbuds over the SoundGear simply because they were rechargeable. They both seemed pretty equivalent otherwise. I have some of the slimmer Walker's muffs for my kids and they like those so far. Find something that fits your needs and gives a good seal and use it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts