Hunting Dilemma (antelope,deer,elk)

5280yotes

I'm wanting to build a 800yd rifle that will be perfect for everything in CO. (antelope,deer,elk) I am kind of fond of savages, I have 4 with accutriggers so i want to keep it all the same. I do reload for all of them. I have a Tikka t3 lite in stainless 300wsm that shoots great but want to sell it for a new Savage WW with accustock. My dilemma is which caliber 7rm,7wsm,300wm,300wsm??? I will re-barrel the WW if it don't shoot after break-in so caliber is not that important. I read alot on here about the .284 being too small for elk at long distances but I like the B.C.'s. HELP PLEASE!!!

A 180 gr bullet shot out of a 300 WSM will get there (800 yds) a little faster and flatter than a 180 bullet shot out of a 7mm (RM or WSM) It will also make a bigger hole. The 7mm 180 has a better BC, but the 300 WSM/WM has a better MV and will out perform the 7mm out to 800 yds, with better terminal performance.

IMO, the 30 cal mag has the edge on the 7 mag.

Mark

I agree with Montanarifleman, and if you throw those 177 grain GS bullets in there with the huge BC and velocity in a quality big game bullet lookout. I am putting these through the test in my 300 wsm and 300 ultramag for next year. In August I can give a game report on them after the caribou hunt. I would increase your choices to the 300 ultramag and 338 ultramag if I were you. Why limit yourself when these are available just as easy.

I agree with Montanarifleman, and if you throw those 177 grain GS bullets in there with the huge BC and velocity in a quality big game bullet lookout. I am putting these through the test in my 300 wsm and 300 ultramag for next year. In August I can give a game report on them after the caribou hunt. I would increase your choices to the 300 ultramag and 338 ultramag if I were you. Why limit yourself when these are available just as easy.
So if I started out with a savage long action I could use it for 300ultra or 338ultra later on? Or what action would be better? And those GS bullets look really nice.:)

Savage long mag action will work. They make a 300 ultramag that shoots lights out. I'm not sure about the 338 ultramag but if you got the 300 you could sure do a 338 in the furutre if you wanted. Sniper2 on here got two of the Savage 300 ultramags through my shop and both shot like custom rigs. Great triggers also for a factory rifle.

Savage long mag action will work. They make a 300 ultramag that shoots lights out. I'm not sure about the 338 ultramag but if you got the 300 you could sure do a 338 in the furutre if you wanted. Sniper2 on here got two of the Savage 300 ultramags through my shop and both shot like custom rigs. Great triggers also for a factory rifle.

I think I'm going to start out with a 300 win mag. Ultras I think are going to require muzzle brake. I'm not recoil sens but god **** 90g+ powder has got to hurt.

Shooting a RUM without a brake.

I do not have a brake on my 300 Ultra. I use a slip on recoil pad which works fine for me. The first shot always seems to give me a pretty good jolt and then after that it's no big thing... weird. With the slip-on I can shoot it from the bench all day with absolutley no soreness. The other day I forgot my slip-on pad and fired it with just a Carhart coat. I thought I was going to get punished but it felt just as if I were wearing the slip-on, And after shooting the Ultra, I shot the 300 WSM which seemed like a 243.

A couple of tips. Make sure the butt of the rifle is snug and firm in the pocket of your shoulder, not out on the ball. That makes a real big difference. Another thing, develop a shooting position on the bench that does not have you leaning into the rifle too much. The more errect your position to the rifle, the less the recoil will affect you. Technique is a BIG part of the game.

Mark

Would there be any advantages of going with the WM over the WSM? I think the longer action gives me more versatility for longer bullets and more options later like a rum. From what I've been reading about RL17 the wsm is getting some amazing velocities with a shorter action. Does anybody know if you can seat a 210 Berger long enough to be accurate in a factory savage?

If you're going to do a build, you can build the WSM in a long action. I would just build it in a short action and put one down. I like the WSM because it will have a longer barrel life and I dont the like belted cases. Just a little pet peev of mine.

Other than that thw WM is a good cartridge.

5280yotes,

I shoot a factory model 12 VLP 300WSM with 185 VLD's and they are very accurate ( 1/4 to 1/2 MOA @ 200yds ) and still mag feed, I am seating off the lands though . If you're dead set on 210's I'd build it on a long action and chamber for 300WSM. IMHO the 210 will take up too much case capacity to seat the bullet properly and still mag feed in a short action.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.