Hunting coyotes from elevated deer stands

7 RUMAN

Going to try coyote hunting for the first time. The numbers have exploded here in the Mississippi Delta. We have box stands for deer hunting that are 12 feet high, wondering if anyone has tried hunting yotes like this.

Well, I've shot coyotes from my treestand while deer hunting several times. They were just as dead as the ones I shot from the ground. I'm sure you will be fine.

Coyotes spend most time looking down or ahead, not up; so yeah, a deer stand might even give you an edge (just be sure to leave your e-caller on the ground). Only problem would be location of the stand relative to wind direction at the time you're on it.

When we baited bear we used tree stands. When we had coyotes come in we knew it was a good set up.

At worst it will show the weaknesses in your blind set up.

Same rules of thumb as the ground, camo, don't get skylined etc.

I depends. Out west and areas where distances are long, visibility of approach is good, and the area represents a ""food source", I have hunted a stand for several days in a row and had good action. Your conceament is key. Because of the low angles, they can spot you at very long distances. In tighter areas where visibility is tighter and there is a lot of cover, typical of eastern deer hunting set ups, you have to lure them into a spot that gives you the ability to spot them coming in, and present a clear shot. Good calling and a mojo are required. Once you shoot once or if you are lucky,twice from this set up coyotes will wise up and you may be done at that stand.

I've shot a few from a 6' ladder, even after dragging it thru the brush. My 12 y.o. son shot his first Bobcat this year off a 4' ladder. IMO a deer stand would be an excellent choice.

I am still pretty new to predator hunting, all but one in the last year and all but one from stands 14-16 ft up. Being higher up helps reduce your scent signature at ground level and being in a box reduces it further. Elevation and enclosure help hide your movements and help preclude being silhouetted.

In short, many of the same reason that make such a stand good for deer or hogs makes it good for predators.

This is the end result of a 444 marlin 265 grain hornady at 110 yards during primitive arms week last year. I was in my box stand and he decided to eat some corn so I said to myself it just ain't your day coyote.

Attachments

• DeadCoyote.jpg
    DeadCoyote.jpg
    600.8 KB · Views: 190
Do you guys think the angle of shooting from an elevation of a 12-15 foot tree stand overlooking a fairly flat field would mess up the ballistics at all shooting at 600-700 yards?

A buddy and I tried this. I climbed up in the stand, he ducked out behind the stand and to my right where he posted up with the call. It all went perfect, had a nice yote come slinking through the mesquites, the plan fell apart when I pulled the trigger and kicked dirt all over Wiley.

What can I say, I get excited... Such is life. We will defiantly try this again.

Let us know how it goes!
Calvin

I live in East Tennessee and there is not much open areas like I'm the mid west. I've also thought about using a small light weight climbing tree stand. They are lots of public land to hunt with some food plots planted on some of them but I would say much more woods for me. I thought of a shotgun for in the woods and a Mossberg MVP in a 223 for the longer shots in the open areas.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.