Hunting bullets 338 Lapua

Who eats deer ribs anyway, I would much rather save the shoulder. :)
Jeff

I just spit out my morning coffee! Who eats deer ribs? I do!

You can all just be jealous because you don't have nice, meaty Saskatchewan whitetails to eat. The ribs are one of the best parts.

Anyone headed up to Saskatchewan? Swing by my place and you'll see..... "Who eats deer ribs". pffffffffffffffffffffffft. My posterior. :D

Tsk tsk tsk tsk.......

I'm with Broz on this one. I stopped developing multiple loads for my rifles years ago. I pick the heaviest, highest BC bullet that the rifle will shoot accurately - and I'm done. No such thing as overkill. Dead is dead.

I'm with Broz on this one. I stopped developing multiple loads for my rifles years ago. I pick the heaviest, highest BC bullet that the rifle will shoot accurately - and I'm done. No such thing as overkill. Dead is dead.

+1
Its the only way to fly. Who the hell wants two drop charts for the same rifle. I've yet to see a deer or G-hog that can walk away from a well placed 300 grain smk.

And every G-hog that takes one is practice with the combo for hunting season.

I'll go the one bullet route. Thanks for the input. I agree having one drop data chart is the way to go for a hunting bullet. Terminal ballistics will be what they are. If I see a need for two bullets I'll be back for more advice. I'll take a few hogs with 300's first and take a look at real world data. Should get it on the range early next week.

So far I have seen the Cutting Edge bullets tested in about 18 long range media targets. All dead right there. They give the best performance at the ranges inside 1200 yards where I hunt. If they didn't I wouldn't use them. They are also the most accurate bullets and easiest to work up loads for I have ever used which includes about everything since the 1960's. The forum would be a much better place if everyone would just show their results instead of sticking their nose in business they know nothing about and do not have the experience to back it up. Personal attacks do not make a very interesting forum.

1st off, according to you in past posts, none of the animals were "dead right there", they all went some distance. 2nd, I never made any personnal attacks against you. 3rd, you can think I don't have any experience, but there are others on this site that know differen't. Now, how about some pictures of these 1 shoe fits all recovered bullets from game. Remember, a fmj will kill too, just not how we like.

Franklin, I am a very busy man and have no interest in getting into a spat with you or anyone else. You quoted me calling me out that what I said was completely BS. There are few people in the world outside of the people at cutting edge who have put these bullets through more thorough long range testing than I have over the past year in numerous rifles, cartridges, barrel twists. etc. By percentage their are also few people in the world with more experience testing the 338 Lapua and improved versions of it. Since the inception of the cartridge I have tested it with virtually every bullet and powder combination worth anything in it including testing for companies bullets such as the 300 SMK for sierra before they were available to the public. I have built numerous lapuas and improved versions for hunters and in communication with several gunsmiths around the country during the late 90's attempting to develop the best improved version of the cartridge. As I am getting older I have sold most of my stuff and only have two 338 Lapuas that I shoot regularly now. But I felt that I had suitable experience to answer the mans question.

I try to help people on here by using my experience to show them things outside the norm they might not know of that may be worth trying. I have no affiliation with any company and it makes no difference to me what people use or shoot. I just offer input from my testing that people may be interested in. I had hoped that people would appreciate that.

The Cutting Edge bullets in particular are the most intriquing bullets I have seen come down the pipe with new technology that works. As everyone knows I test about everything that comes out trying to get an edge in hunting and stay on top of whatever is new. Bullets have come and gone as when I tested them the BC quotes or accuracy quotes didn't hold true. These are one of the few that actually held true to BC's and claims. They have helped me by giving some of my rifles an advantage boost within certain ranges like nothing else I have ever tested. I am very high on them right now because of their performance in my testing to this point. The degree of accuracy with these bullets is amazing with hardly any load developement. They are to this point the most accurate bullet I have ever tested for hunting with the least amount of load developement across a wide range of rifles. The combination of increased velocity combined with an extremely high BC give a tremendous advantage to certain ranges for guys looking for every advantage they can get. I have tested them for only one year and am continuing testing them through this year. I will continue to update. I stay very busy and do appologize that very little of my testing gets on the forum since I am not on here very much any more. But I do try to get on here when I can.

You say that you also have extensive experience in this area.
How many hundreds of cutting edge bullets have you tested at long range targets?
How many different rifles, cartridges, barrel twists, etc did you use in your testing?
How many big game animals have you taken with these bullets at long range?
How many different 338 lapua platforms have you built and owned since the inception of the cartridge and how many thousands of rounds have you fired through these long range?

I am sure people on here would like to know the answer to some of these questions for you to call a man of my stature and accomplishments through life as spouting BS.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.