Hunting bullets 338 Lapua

Ludicrous

Waiting on my Savage 111 LRH to get here tomorrow and I plan on using this rifle for hunting only. Need some recommendations on two bullets, one for large game and one small. Reload data would be nice too.

280 grain Barnes LRX for long range big game but it would also work good on smaller game but since you asked the 185 grain Barnes TTSX for a super flat shooting short range small game load.

84.4 grains of Retumbo for the 280 grainer .100 off the lands. Shoots great outta my dads Savage 110 FCP HS 338 Lapua

Intended distance is a huge factor when picking a bullet for hunting. Since you stated you ordered the LRH I will assume you will be looking for a bullet that will expand at distance. I have used he 300 gr Bergers for a couple years now with perfect results from my 338 LM. I have taken everything from antelope to large bull elk. None have needed more than one bullet and none traveled out of sight to fall. In fact they all fell within 50 yards. No tracking requied. I use this bullet no matter what the distance. 50 yards to the farthest effective range of the rifle which is probably 1500 yards to 1 mile. The way these bullets buck the wind is truely awesome and their accuracy even through the subsonic transition is amazing.

The 300 Berger Hybrids are one of the easiest bullets to load as they are less sensitive to seating depth. Mine shot great (under .5 moa) even at 1000 plus yards at a few diferent depths.

Get some H-1000 , CCI 250 M primers and load them up.

As for a smaller bullet, I don't need one. I find damage is way more dependant on shot placement than a 30 to 50 gr difference in bullet weight.

Jeff

300gr Berger open tip hybrid/tactical is in stock at Midway so I'll order some up today . I'll be semi-handicapped with only 30 MOA elevation adjustment with a Trijicon 5-20 but should work ok up to 1000 yards. Anyone have a recommendation on a scope mount for this Savage/Trijicon combo? What zero range should I go for? (100,200,300???). I have the same scope on a Savage BA 10 in 308 but with a 0 moa one piece mount. I'm running out of elevation at 850 yards on that combo zero'd at 100. Plan on sneaking in a Trijicon TARS purchase when my wife isn't looking in the near future....3k plus is a hard pill to swallow even for me though. Lol.

Forgot....really....a 300 gr for whitetail??? Lol. Never used anything over 150gr for them. Should be interesting though.

Can't offer any first hand help with the mount. But I will on the zero with a 338 LM. I have used 100, 200, 300 and 500. I would say you will be much happier with a 100 yard zero. Reason is I like to confirm zero's often. Especially if I am hunting in a new area or state with a destinct change in elevation. I have found it is much easier to find a place to shoot 100. Plus wind is not usually an issue at 100. If I feel I want to hunt with a 300 yard zero for a faster shot at that distance I simply dial up a few MOA before the hunt. This gives you all the options.

Jeff

Forgot....really....a 300 gr for whitetail??? Lol. Never used anything over 150gr for them. Should be interesting though.

Stick it in the slats. Who eats deer ribs anyway, I would much rather save the shoulder. :) I have never shot any animal that was too dead too fast for my likes.
Jeff

You only need one bullet out to 1200 yards for any animal. The D62 225 grain .64 bc Cutting Edge will give you the best ballistics and least recoil. You should be able to shoot it in the high 3300's with retumbo.

Out of all the bullets mentioned the 300gr OTM is absolutely addictive shooting, it opens behind the shoulder very well and blows the life right out of them and meat damage is not that bad considering but I've never blown though the good eating parts!! It's a one bullet solution for the entire range of a 338 Lapua gun)

You only need one bullet out to 1200 yards for any animal. The D62 225 grain .64 bc Cutting Edge will give you the best ballistics and least recoil. You should be able to shoot it in the high 3300's with retumbo.

So will alot of other bullets with proven on game performance. Did you ever test these bullets in media, like you said you were going too? You still haven't learned the difference in giving people your opinion vs. telling them the end all in what they should use, have you.lightbulb

Hard to overlook the 300SMK it was the standard for years and has proven itself.

Good point. The 300 SMK's should not be over looked. They open nicely on game and I took a lot of elk with them before switching to Bergers. The 300 SMK and 300 Berger OTM are the "go to" bullets for a 338 LM and both have earned much respect in the field.

Jeff

So will alot of other bullets with proven on game performance. Did you ever test these bullets in media, like you said you were going too? You still haven't learned the difference in giving people your opinion vs. telling them the end all in what they should use, have you.lightbulb

Didnt your mama teach you some manners?lightbulb

With how long you've been on this site I would think you would have a little more respect for LTLR. Thats OK, Im sure there will be more than a few tests on "media" in the next few months.

Back to bullets. Ive had very good luck with the barnes TTSX bullet. both the 210 and the 225. They are pricey though. I also shoot the 300 SMK, but havent shot anything with them yet.

In what way did I disrespect him angus? What does the time I've been on this site have to do with anything with LTLR? Sometimes the ******** is to far above the nose to smell it. No disrespect. We should probably get back on topic now.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.