Hunting bullet recommendation for short barreled 308

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Thebear_78, Jun 6, 2017.

1. drdool

drdool Well-Known Member

Used the Hornady 150 SST Superformance last year out of a 20" CTR with excellent terminal results in South Texas. One buck was DRT, other took less than 5 steps. Seems like when I ran it over a chrono the numbers were surprisingly close to advertised 200 fps faster. They also make the same ammo in a 165 that worked well on targets, no experience on game yet.

cschol likes this.
  2. Thebear_78

Thebear_78 Well-Known Member

The 168gr Berger worked out pretty well. At 311 yards took this cow. Bullet entered center of the chest and exited out off side elbow. Found one small piece of the bullet in the elbow

Attached Files:

3. roadhunter

roadhunter Well-Known Member

I'm running 180gr Nosler hunting BT's over 44 grains of Varget with Fed 210GM's. This load is going 2544fps out of a 18" barreled Ruger American Predator with Silencerco Omega. Consistently shoots 5/8" groups at 100 yards with very little recoil. I set this rifle up for my kids to use on youth cow elk hunts the last couple years. They've dropped two cows with this load one at 110 yards and the other at 120. Both were one shot kills and took about 5-10 steps before piling up. The first punched clean through the ribs behind the front shoulder with a 1 inch exit hole. The other completely shattered the near side shoulder bone and we found the perfectly mushroomed bullet resting under the skin on the far side shoulder weighing 107.5 grains. Makes me wonder why I've been shooting big magnums for so long......Good luck.

Doug