Hunting boots for mountain hunting

.gacton

Looking for opinions as to insulation level. I know we are all different. But, my hunting has been limited to deer hunting. Walk a few hundred yards to a stand. Some walks are relatively easy, some not. My feet tend to get cold sitting in a stand. I know we will be walking more on this elk hunt, so too much insulation would be a bad thing. I have a pair of Danner Pronhorn w/400 gr. of insulation, but want to take a second pair. Suggestions?

Looking for opinions as to insulation level. I know we are all different. But, my hunting has been limited to deer hunting. Walk a few hundred yards to a stand. Some walks are relatively easy, some not. My feet tend to get cold sitting in a stand. I know we will be walking more on this elk hunt, so too much insulation would be a bad thing. I have a pair of Danner Pronhorn w/400 gr. of insulation, but want to take a second pair. Suggestions?
I have had several pairs of Pronghorn boots non - insulated and they were the BEST. Danner changed the way Pronghorns were made probably 10 years ago and there was a lot of complaints from the hunting community. I don't know if they changed back to the original design-if they did I would buy two pair. Like I said the BEST boot for hunting I ever owned. Now I still wear Danner, but went to the Military models Rivot TFX for hunting and the Marine RAT (recraft able) for shooting.
Update I just went to Danner Website and Danner switched back to the ORIGINAL design for Pronghorns. So it looks like I will have to look for a sale and buy a few pair.
Depending on how cold it is going to be and weather snow on the ground will effect which pair to get. Non insulated or 400gram. If I were you I would get both.

Last edited:
When and where is your elk hunt?
An early season archery or early rifle hunt in a low elevation unit is very different from a late season high elevation elk hunt. Like up to 100° difference here in AZ.

When and where is your elk hunt?
An early season archery or early rifle hunt in a low elevation unit is very different from a late season high elevation elk hunt. Like up to 100° difference here in AZ.
Unit 80, second rifle, Colorado. Camp will be around 9,000.

I have Lowa Sheep Hunters and Crispi Hunters. Both have around 200+ insulation I believe. You should be moving so feet are active. My feet do sometimes get cold if sweaty then sit. But warm up when moving. Good socks are a plus also

My feet sweat badly. So I never buy insulated boots. I'm currently wearing Miendl Comfort Hikers and I love em. I wore them last year on my Nv elk hunt in the Jarbidge Wilderness. I hunted from 0° up to 60° and never had issues. On the 0° morning I was walking in 4"-5" of fresh snow and about 10mph winds. I sat for 5-10mins and glassed a few times and my feet got chilled, but never cold. If your walking more than sitting, you shouldn't have problems.

I would recommend the Crispi Briksdal boots as they are built around climbing and elevation gain. I run the non insulated ones and have even started wearing them just on rolling hills in more open country for the ankle support. The insulated version has 200g of insulation, so enough to keep it warm but not overdone. Crispi quality is top notch.

https://www.crispius.com/briksdal-gtx

First things first any boot needs to FIT your foot wearing the socks you will actually wear. Each boot is built on a Last that will be custom made for just yoúr foot on custom boots or selected by the manufacturer for their boot line from Standard Lasts that fit most of their customers-more or less. Don't buy boots without trying them on unless you already have a pair and the Bootmaker has changed NOTHING. Don't forget to have extra socks (dry ones) to change into frequently. Over boots and Gaiters (Spats) are easily carried to put on and take off as needed for warmth.
From my Cross Country skiing background i learned that when feet get cold put on a hat if you already have a hat on put another over it or trade it for a warmer one. Also, NEVER allow yourself to sweat better to start off feeling cool and use layer removal-replacement to regulate body temperature before it is out of your control. I am frequently asked, "Aren't you cold?" by shivering folks complaining about cold feet wearing no hats, LOL!

I'm usually on Salomon Boots both on skis and dry land.

Hard decision. Feet are different. I wear Salomon almost exclusively now. I have some tondra I wear for the winter hunting wolves and often snow shoe with them. Light and warm. For the remaining seasons i wear Salomon with no insulation or 200 grams.

Do not kmow any thing about hunting in the west. I, see many questions about, what boots to buy. Here in the N.E. there are differnt levels of elev. Not much over 4,000 ft. We still have ice and snow. Been hunting deer in differnt N.E. eastern states for many years. We use the Hot Hands incerts, for our boots. Keeps our feet warm when we need the warmth. I, have never see these incerts mentiond.

First things first any boot needs to FIT your foot wearing the socks you will actually wear. Each boot is built on a Last that will be custom made for just yoúr foot on custom boots or selected by the manufacturer for their boot line from Standard Lasts that fit most of their customers-more or less. Don't buy boots without trying them on unless you already have a pair and the Bootmaker has changed NOTHING. Don't forget to have extra socks (dry ones) to change into frequently. Over boots and Gaiters (Spats) are easily carried to put on and take off as needed for warmth.
From my Cross Country skiing background i learned that when feet get cold put on a hat if you already have a hat on put another over it or trade it for a warmer one. Also, NEVER allow yourself to sweat better to start off feeling cool and use layer removal-replacement to regulate body temperature before it is out of your control. I am frequently asked, "Aren't you cold?" by shivering folks complaining about cold feet wearing no hats, LOL!

I'm usually on Salomon Boots both on skis and dry land.
^^^^ This right here!! I would add to carry extra socks and change them out when you stop to glass for longer than 15 min. Dry feet are warm feet.

I switched to the Kenetrek 400's last year after 22 years of hunting the high country in Colorado and my only regret was not doing it sooner. I used them late season here in Georgia as well sitting in the stand and was very impressed with how warm they were. Im 6'4 230 size 15 and put nearly 100 miles on them in CO last season they are by far the most comfortable boots I've ever worn with great support. By their wax and and keep it applied!