Hunting barrel contours???

jcvibby

Non-Profit Sponsor
If I were to build a 338 WM for a good all around alaskan hunting rifle should I get a short and fatter barrel or should I get a longer and skinnier barrel considering weights being the same. I was thinking about 22 inches verses 26 inches. I will be shooting the 225 grain Nosler accubond at a mild 2700 FPS or thereabouts. Thanks for the help.

If I were to build a 338 WM for a good all around alaskan hunting rifle should I get a short and fatter barrel or should I get a longer and skinnier barrel considering weights being the same. I was thinking about 22 inches verses 26 inches. I will be shooting the 225 grain Nosler accubond at a mild 2700 FPS or thereabouts. Thanks for the help.

Sounds like you want something about the size of a #4 or #5 lilja contour.

Barrel would be heavy enough to keep recoil manageable without a break.

With out a break= I would cut the barrel to 24" and make in a #5 contour.

With a break= I would use a 23" #4 contour and the overall length and weight
would be close to the same.

With a 22" barrel the 338 WM would give up to much velocity Unless you shot
heavy bullets and be very loud.

J E CUSTOM

If 2700 fps is your goal with 225 grain bullets you could go with a 20" barrel and make it a #5. That would make a nice fast and stout rifle. I have pistol hunters shooting that speed out of 17" barrels, so I don't think you will have a problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.