Hunting and Shooting a Lightweight Rifle

txhoghunter73

I bought my first super lightweight rifle. It's a Weatherby Weatherguard 300 win mag with a accubrake, Bell and Carlson stock, and topped with a sig tango 4 4-16x44. I have shot about 50-60 rounds through it. It shoots really well (1/2-3/4) with chitty factory American whitetail when I do my part. The problem is, I can't always do my part. I have a really hard time getting this thing steady on a bench with just bags. I thought about strapping it into the lead sled to try my handloads. I'm scared that will affect harmonics though. Is there a better way to get it stable from bags? I have just been resting it on top of them.

Lot's of things to use besides a lead sled. Things that are easier to take to the range too.
An adjustable front rest similar to the ones benchrest shooters use will help a great deal. It can cradle the front of the rifle to stop excess left/right movement and the deep V it's cradled in will stop the rifle from torquing left on recoil too. Caldwell makes a few inexpensive good ones.

Make sure you have a rear bag too. You need one that allow the rifle to track straight back and limits left/right movement. I personally don't like the Caldwell stuff here. I like a more tactical style softer bean bag for this.

A very good shooting bag can work wonders too! Dog-gone-good shooting bags are excellent. The rifle sets deep in the bag. It is very stable and holds the rifle very stable thru the shot. It's the kinda bag you see varmint shooters using. Check these bags out. You will love them. Much better than a lead sled.

Here's the Dog-gone-good home page: http://www.dog-gone-good.com/index.html

Last edited:
Lot's of things to use besides a lead sled. Things that are easier to take to the range too.
An adjustable front rest similar to the ones benchrest shooters use will help a great deal. It can cradle the front of the rifle to stop excess left/right movement and the deep V it's cradled in will stop the rifle from torquing left on recoil too. Caldwell makes a few inexpensive good ones.

Make sure you have a rear bag too. You need one that allow the rifle to track straight back and limits left/right movement. I personally don't like the Caldwell stuff here. I like a more tactical style softer bean bag for this.

A very good shooting bag can work wonders too! Dog-gone-good shooting bags are excellent. The rifle sets deep in the bag. It is very stable and holds the rifle very stable thru the shot. It's the kinda bag you see varmint shooters using. Check these bags out. You will love them. Much better than a lead sled.

Here's the Dog-gone-good home page: http://www.dog-gone-good.com/index.html

Thanks. I'll look into those

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.