Hunting 4 legged geurilla grocery grubbers

Going back to the OP question way back in the thread...... I have lights on my feeders, red lights, but the cost of batteries and the lights only lasting a couple days on those batteries has killed that. I have plans to upgrade my feeder to 12V, then I can run the lights off a large battery with solar chargers and maybe get feeder lights that operate when they detect motion for months. Until then we use thermal monocular to find hogs, stalk in range, then light them up with white lights and shoot them. Hogs may not see red lights or green lights, but they can sense the light and I think they can maybe see shadows from those lights, and they take some time to get accustomed to them. I don't know this as fact, it's what I see watching them in the lights.
I used the green kill lights from outdoor solutions. They are all solar, and can be set by timer or motion. They have gradual fade on and off options, to avoid sudden shadows. Idk what they cost now, they were 60 bucks each several years ago.

Appreciate the info, I have red lights now with the motion and timers etc, they will take a feed from a battery that is solar charged but I have to figure out the battery mounting and coon proof wiring. The lights will work 6v or 12v but talking with the mfg a 12v and a good sized one at that is where I need to go for trouble free feeder lights. So, doing that I might as well convert my 6v feeder at the same time and have only one battery and one solar charger to worry about.

Appreciate the info, I have red lights now with the motion and timers etc, they will take a feed from a battery that is solar charged but I have to figure out the battery mounting and coon proof wiring. The lights will work 6v or 12v but talking with the mfg a 12v and a good sized one at that is where I need to go for trouble free feeder lights. So, doing that I might as well convert my 6v feeder at the same time and have only one battery and one solar charger to worry about.
Try a solar powered landscape light. Cheap Amazon version. For $50 you can get 4-6 lights that charge in the daytime and stay on all night.

Strap it to the south side of your feeder barrel or top of one of the legs. Done.

It will put out plenty of light to see to shoot by.

The pigs don't care if the light is on every night. If not immediately, they will get used to it quickly.

I will chime in here with my limited knowledge so remember you get what you pay for. I'm a farmer in Idaho and every fall I have local and out of state Phesant hunters come up every October to hunt birds. I have one rule and that's is if you come and ask me in person and I get to know you and trust you I never say no! i have had my share of ran over pipe and disrespect of my farm more than I care to admit but I have also made some pretty awesome friends in the process. Build a trust is a must..I just finished read a farmer report that reported the annual damage from feral hogs in the U.S is 2.5 Billon. Yes this is not a typo. 2.5 billion.. there are places in Texas that quit growing corn because of the damage they do. So go knock on some doors and build some trust. JMO

.I just finished read a farmer report that reported the annual damage from feral hogs in the U.S is 2.5 Billon. Yes this is not a typo. 2.5 billion.. there are places in Texas that quit growing corn because of the damage they do. So go knock on some doors and build some trust. JMO
If hunting were an effective management tool, I'm sure landowners would be more open to it. But, it just isn't.

Go knock on doors with a helicopter and a few thousand rounds of buckshot and you will get permission every tine.

I've never been hog hunting but have been itching to get out and blast some pork flavored self propelled plows for a while.

I've been doing alot of reading as to best calibers, bullets etc but still have a few other questions.

1)I don't see people talking much about places to hunt for free. Funds for me are more limited for recreation right now so I have to keep it cheap. Are there oppotunities to get with ranches who dont charge a fee? I know it takes a while to build trust when hunting on someone else's land and there's always a liability issue so I get the need to charge, but it seems some places need all the help they can get. The other option is public land but if it's anything like crowded colorado, sharing the area with a bunch of hog hunters you dont know doesn't sound too appealing due to my phobia of intamacy with speeding projectiles.

2)Is night hunting necessary for success? Dropping 4k on reliable NV or thermal optics isn't in the cards for aforementioned reasons but I sure don't see alot of daytime blubber blasting.

3)is the meat worth harvesting? Like say a young sow- or is the taste, piggy filth, or chance of disease/ just not worth it? I'm well on my way to filling up the freezers this year but a few hundred pounds of pork would be nice.

Thanks in advance.
Grab a bow, a crossbow or a shotgun with buckshot. Get your hunting license and a Ty 2 hunting permit and your ready. Get a hotel close to the Cooper WMA or a White Oak wma. Familiarize yourself with the access points. Walk in and start shooting. Hogs cover these two state of Texas lands. They are around lakes. There are different time zones you can hunt them. But pretty much anytime. I promise if your just an average hunter you can take 1-5 every time you go out. They are a dime a dozen on these properties. It will be the cheapest hunt you ever had per pounds of meat harvested lol

Recent Posts