Hunted squirrels today.

Squirrels are very untrustworthy. I shoot about 6 a week in my backyard with a pellet gun. Really helps when deer season comes around

Those we call fairydiddles,I nothing on them to eat unlike grays and fox squirrels,still a challenge to hit,almost never sit still.unless you catch one sunning himself.Love eating squirrels very tasty. Nice shooting on those pesky reds.Finished and ready to eat.
Never heard them called fairydiddles haha I like it they are hard to hunt! I wanted one to get mounted hence the behind should and not head but those segmented rounds make a mess on the other side.

With the subsonic loudest thing was squirrel hitting the ground falling from the branch!!

I grew up in the hills of W.Va. and we called them Fairydiddles as well. Or sometimes they were called Red Mountain squirrels. I loved to see them. They are a very aggressive squirrel, they will put a whipping on a gray or even a big fox squirrel. They love the pine thickets. Love hearing the term Fairydiddles, not many folks know what it is. Sure makes me home sick. Seeing them in the woods was a treat to me, they were not as plentiful as the others.

I use a primos squirrel buster and Haydel squirrel whistle. I have squirrel calls in Primos, knight & hale, Haydel, HS strut, Faults , Eddie S, Quaker Boy, Buck Garner, Lohman, and Ceder Hill . Plus 3 different custom calls. I just bought a Harmons squirrel call today to try.

Last edited:
I use a primos squirrel buster and Haydel squirrel whistle. I have squirrel calls in Primos, knight & hale, Haydel, HS strut, Faults , Eddie S, Quaker Boy, Buck Garner and Ceder Hill . Plus 3 different custom calls. I just bought a Harmons squirrel call today to try.
Thanks I'll have to try some David

I grew up in the hills of W.Va. and we called them Fairydiddles as well. Or sometimes they were called Red Mountain squirrels. I loved to see them. They are a very aggressive squirrel, they will put a whipping on a gray or even a big fox squirrel. They love the pine thickets. Love hearing the term Fairydiddles, not many folks know what it is. Sure makes me home sick. Seeing them in the woods was a treat to me, they were not as plentiful as the others.
I shoot those pests all year ,suppressed rifle puts it to them, they'll wreck other squirrels.

They are mean little critters. Glad they are not 400lbs, it would take a bigger rifle and they probably would eat us. It is amazing to me to know that you have so many out your way.

I put one in my game vest one time. It was dead when I put it in vest. I thought it was!! I went to get out of vest. That fox squirrel bit into my finger . It wouldn't let go. When it did I empty a speedmaster 22 on it. I think twice when I put them in my vest now to make sure there dead. I been told by old timer's. When squirrels eat alot of pine cones alot. They kind taste like pine smells. I have never eat them when there on pine cones. I like a squirrel call they dont always work. But u can make a squirrel mad . He will give away his location away. He will bark sometimes and jump up and down on limb.. His tail goes wild . When he starts barking. Sometimes other squirrels around him will bark. So u know there is others in the area.

I was in wv 2 weeks ago at my buddy's place. Beautiful place to hunt squirrels. 20201022_165017.jpg20201022_164257.jpg

Where was those pics taken. Looks like a great place for a cabin, but most likely could not get to it by road. I want to retire and get me a piece of ground like that to finish out my life on.

That's below morgantown next to my buddy's place. Family owned for 100 yrs. If it were for sale I'd be liven there. Bit it is a beautiful woods. We go once a year for long weekend to squirrel hunt.

Ain't nothing like good ol squirrel hunting that's for sure ! My oldest son a has a 12 week old mountain cur that hopefully just hopefully we will be able to train to tree those little bushy tailed devils. He's game crazy already so that's a huge plus been messing with him with squirrel tails and hide he definitely will bark at one . I'll have to get a short video of him and put it on here it's hilarious

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.