Hunt w/ Muzzle Brake?

mmh

How many of you guys hunt w/ a muzzle brake on a 300WM? I don't want to practice w/o one on but would also not want to take it off for hunting if my practice has been with it on.

I do. Am a recoil sissy! I keep earplugs around my neck. Worst case if you get a plug in your left ear as a right handed shooter it works very well. You can then still have easy communication with your spotter.

Steve

Always. On every rifle except my .223AR and .22LRs. Even my 15# 6.5SLR has a brake. So will my 6CM I am building. I like to see my own hits (or misses) as often as possible.

I have never hunted with a brake but after seeing the benefits of them on my .308 range gun I will probably put one on all of my newer rifles regardless of intended use and will also use a suppressor whenever possible. Exception would be my first .22lr- a bolt action Marlin model 25 that I'll be passing on to my oldest son now that he's just turned 5. Also, my .270win deer rifle. It's a 1971 model 700 that I've had the original wood stock recheckered and have bedded the action, replaced the barrel, etc and just looks too traditional and pretty for a brake.

I have them on many of my rifles and use ear protection with or without a brake.

Besides the reduction in recoil under bench/range conditions, It is also beneficial if you are out of position when hunting. Many times you cant get the proper shoulder fit when shooting with the other hand and recoil management helps if the stock doesn't fit because of the position.

With less recoil, the chances of seeing the hit also greatly increase and will allow follow up shots if needed.

J E CUSTOM

Practice with a brake and hunt with a brake on my 300wm and all other calibers that I use for big game hunting. Always carry ear plugs and use them although have been caught in situations where I didn't have time.

I have one on all my hunting rifles. With longer shots you can get back on target faster. It makes shooting my .300 a lot better. I recommend not using a radial brake in the field. The first shot I took with one from the prone position in an old burn area left me and my spotter blind for about 3 seconds until the wind cleared all the dust and debris away.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.