HUNT REPORT -- ELK - LRH Group Hunt -2013

The hunt was a lot of fun. The Greys River area is some of the best scenery in the Mountain West! The Outfitter was accomodating and well organized. The camp was spartan but clean and very comfortable. The guides were young, enthusiastic, and full of energy! The food was all home cooked and excellent. The horses were sturdy, safe, and quite the climbers.

The weather came back to bite us a little bit however. Day 1 was too nice with "blue bird" weather. The animals were high and not real active. However we glassed several herds with bulls to go after the following days. Day 2 brought rain and low clouds. I hate hunting in the rain, so I stayed in and nursed sore quads and a painful arse. One of the persistant hunters did however shoot a 5x5 bull that day! Day 3, 4, and 5 were snowy and socked in. Visibility was tough and the bulls spent a good bit of time in the trees. Despite this, two more bulls were taken at lower elevations and one was missed at long range (missed only because of a miscalculation of wind where the bull was bedded). We had hoped for the weather to clear the last couple of days which would have changed our fortunes for sure but it did not happen that way.

I never fired a shot, yet I had a great time. Seeing the country and getting more comfortable on a horse in the steep mountains were high on my priority list. We also saw several "monster" bucks that the area is famous for. They got my heart rate going faster than the bulls as well!!! Finally, it was fun to get to know, share stories with, and hunt with fellow "Long Rangers" from different parts of the country. We had lots of laughs! Len was a great host and provided a little entertainment himself as well. I would love to hunt with this group again and would also recommend Non-Typical Outfitters as well! They did their part... we just couldn't control the weather.

Finally, a word to the wise. Even with horses, the hunting in the high elevations and very steep mountains was very strenuous. Conditioning goes a long way to determining success on hunts with this outfitter. They will put you in position for success, but you still have to do your part, long range capabilities or not! I think most of us were feeling pretty "whipped" a good bit of the time.

Great trip!

Todd, that was a very good account of the hunt. I agree, everyone seemed to have a great time. I enjoyed meeting a bunch of new friends.

I'll post some pictures and make a few comments. I hope others will chime in with their own comments.

First off, I want to say that Robb Wiley was the most knowledgeable outfitter about shooting that I have some across. He did an awsesome job at the rifle range set up for us to check our zeros. Here is a picture of him demonstrating a side hill shooting method that is the most significant new idea I've come across in a long time.

Robb had told me on the phone that one of the most typical shot opportunities would be seated with shooting sticks across a canyon to the other side. So I had been practicing.

But he taught us how to use the hillside for support of our shooting arm and shoulder. That made a HUGE improvement for me and the others who tried it. I am convinced I could shoot moa or better groups out to 700 yards or more by adding this support method to my seated shooting sticks technique. That is Robb seated next to the shooters.

After checking zeros at 100 yards off of a sturdy bench, we were invited to shoot at rocks out to about 600 yards on the very steep hillside across the draw. There also was a 12x12 inch steel plate near the top at 600 yards. A couple of us hit the steel on our first shots from a goofy and awkward steep shooting position off the bench at 600 yds in a slight wind, giving us added confidence on the day before the hunt was to begin.

Attachments

• IMG_1421_resize.JPG
    IMG_1421_resize.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1423_resize.JPG
    IMG_1423_resize.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
One hunter couldn't make the trip so we were left with an odd number. I volunteered to pay the extra cost to go one on one with my guide who ended up being Robb, himself. Here is a picture of him and his Big Eyes optics on the first morning.

The snowy days were fantastic!

Attachments

• IMG_1430_resize.JPG
    IMG_1430_resize.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1452_resize.JPG
    IMG_1452_resize.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1459_resize.JPG
    IMG_1459_resize.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1461_resize.JPG
    IMG_1461_resize.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 24
We saw more and more elk and elk tracks each day. They were starting to come down out of the treed heights.

Attachments

• IMG_1499_resize.JPG
    IMG_1499_resize.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1484_resize.JPG
    IMG_1484_resize.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1464_resize.JPG
    IMG_1464_resize.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 21
reserve 3

Attachments

• IMG_1517_resize.JPG
    IMG_1517_resize.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1523_resize.JPG
    IMG_1523_resize.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1473_resize.JPG
    IMG_1473_resize.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
  1. Group shot with me on the far right guarding my plate of apple bars.
  2. Our cook, Jim.
  3. Tommy pointing at my "inside-out & backwards" tag showing on my black shirt. I decided after September's hunt to make this a ritual look for each hunt.
  4. We came home each night to a fire outside.
  5. You never know what kind of exotic wildlife you'll run into out west.
  6. THE END of a beautiful trip!

Attachments

• IMG_1517_resize.JPG
    IMG_1517_resize.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1514_resize.JPG
    IMG_1514_resize.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1513_resize.JPG
    IMG_1513_resize.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1511_resize.JPG
    IMG_1511_resize.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1510_resize.JPG
    IMG_1510_resize.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1508_resize.JPG
    IMG_1508_resize.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
The following are comments by the outfitter, Robb Wily about his recently completed elk season. The pictures are of 2013 elk hunter trophies, some our group's, some not.

The 2013 elk season for Non-Typical Outfitters produced some tremendous high mountain hunting opportunities. We harvested some great public land bulls. Our high bull to cow ratio provided everyone with multiple bull opportunities, some hunters had chances at over 20 bulls on their hunt. Everyone may not have seen the big old bull in range, but got to see a lot of elk regardless of the week. We did knock down some real trophies ranging from 280 to 340. With one old 5 point bull, you have to throw score out the window, and just admire his huge frame, 23 inch thirds and wicked eye guards. We helped some first time elk hunters bag their first bulls. Our archery hunters shot arrows at multiple bulls over the 320 inch mark. The bow hunters had daily opportunities at bulls in range. We missed a number of bulls, rifle and archery combined, a 320 and a 350 to mention a couple. All in all, we had a tremendous year. Being physically and mentally prepared adds a lot to your opportunity when hunting western Wyoming. As well as being quick and proficient with your weapon in rough terrain, at close off hand ranges and long ranges combined.

Attachments

• DSC03214.jpeg
    DSC03214.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC03055.jpeg
    DSC03055.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00380.jpeg
    DSC00380.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC00376.jpeg
    DSC00376.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00322.jpeg
    DSC00322.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 104_0229.jpeg
    104_0229.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
reserve 6

Attachments

• DSC05840.jpeg
    DSC05840.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC05881.jpeg
    DSC05881.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0616.jpeg
    IMG_0616.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0648.jpeg
    IMG_0648.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 24
The hunt was a lot of fun. The Greys River area is some of the best scenery in the Mountain West! The Outfitter was accomodating and well organized. The camp was spartan but clean and very comfortable. The guides were young, enthusiastic, and full of energy! The food was all home cooked and excellent. The horses were sturdy, safe, and quite the climbers.

The weather came back to bite us a little bit however. Day 1 was too nice with "blue bird" weather. The animals were high and not real active. However we glassed several herds with bulls to go after the following days. Day 2 brought rain and low clouds. I hate hunting in the rain, so I stayed in and nursed sore quads and a painful arse. One of the persistant hunters did however shoot a 5x5 bull that day! Day 3, 4, and 5 were snowy and socked in. Visibility was tough and the bulls spent a good bit of time in the trees. Despite this, two more bulls were taken at lower elevations and one was missed at long range (missed only because of a miscalculation of wind where the bull was bedded). We had hoped for the weather to clear the last couple of days which would have changed our fortunes for sure but it did not happen that way.

I never fired a shot, yet I had a great time. Seeing the country and getting more comfortable on a horse in the steep mountains were high on my priority list. We also saw several "monster" bucks that the area is famous for. They got my heart rate going faster than the bulls as well!!! Finally, it was fun to get to know, share stories with, and hunt with fellow "Long Rangers" from different parts of the country. We had lots of laughs! Len was a great host and provided a little entertainment himself as well. I would love to hunt with this group again and would also recommend Non-Typical Outfitters as well! They did their part... we just couldn't control the weather.

Finally, a word to the wise. Even with horses, the hunting in the high elevations and very steep mountains was very strenuous. Conditioning goes a long way to determining success on hunts with this outfitter. They will put you in position for success, but you still have to do your part, long range capabilities or not! I think most of us were feeling pretty "whipped" a good bit of the time.

Great trip!

Pretty much spot on summary of the hunt Todd. I had a great time as well hunting with you and spending time with the rest of the group. I certainly could of used another couple of months of intense training and still would of needed to take a couple days getting used to the altitude. The guides, cook, and horses (except for High Tower) were great. Robb and Brenda have a great camp and staff in a wonderful part of WY.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.