HUNT REPORT - 2013 Wyoming High Country Horseback Mule Deer Hunt

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
The HUNT REPORT is near the end of this thread.

You can CLICK HERE to go to the HUNT REPORT.

-- Len Backus --

On the last day of my high country mule deer hunt last fall I just knew I had to go back. This land is some of the most beautiful hunting land I've ever experienced. It is a long range hunter's dream destination with shot opportunities from a couple hundred yards to -- "way out there". And this is with a cooperative outfitter who knows first-hand from his experience with me, that long range hunters can be trusted to take long shots on game.

mule-creek-outfitting-hunt-report-5375.jpg

Horses are used to get around and to retrieve animals. Then on foot we have the option to move along the tops of high ridges at 8,000 to 9,000 feet of elevation, looking down into likely bedding areas with lots of time spent glassing. We sleep in large wall tents and eat way too much really good food.

mule-creek-outfitting-hunt-report-5416.jpg

The hunt area is Region H in western Wyoming in the Bridger-Teton National Forest. Now through 9-30-12 is the time of the year that Wyoming sells preference points that can be utilized in the 2013 draw. Typically, with one point you can draw a regular "full price" deer tag in H. With the more costly "Special" license you probably would still draw with NO points.

So I just went online and bought a point for myself. Purchase Preference Points Online (Must use Internet Explorer or Firefox as your browser)

At this time it seems we'd be hunting the season's first week, around September 15, 2013. It is a nice, small operation and we'd have room for 4 or 5 of us long range hunters in total.

Read about my 2011 hunt HERE

The outfitters website can be found HERE

Last edited:
That looks like a great hunt Len. It sure would be fun to tag along. Horseback and staying in the hills with a Muley tag would be awesome. I am not sure I can budget this is though. It sure sounds like a place to test out the rifle I am getting from Shawn. I will give this some thought.

Jeff

I hunted Wyoming last year and took a trophy mule deer and an antelope... your advice about getting a preference point right now is important. It will almost guarantee tags for 2013. I have elk tags for me and my son for this fall in Wyoming and we hope to fill both of them. Love it out there!

Len

I have hunted that area before it's a great adventure. Killing an animal is a bonus. I have never hunted mule deer there just elk. My outfitter and guide were extremely surprised when I shot a 6x6 bull elk at 1103 yards. It was quite the adventure coming back to camp with all the wolfs and grizzly bears we encountered. There is a group of 6 of us going out this year. Our hunt dates are Oct 6-13. I hope both our hunts are successful.

Len, that is same area my partner and I hunt. We will be going next year but we are strictly DIY guys. That said maybe we could meet up in Pinedale on evening for dinner. I think I mentioned once before we stayed at same place at same time(Cozy Cabins) anyway I will get in touch as time gets closer to see about hooking up, maybe I can borrow your mule to pack out my buck.LOL

That area is beautiful! I need a lot more practice at shooting over 600 yards and need to save up! I am going on a hunt with my father later this year in AZ and am hoping to test out my new M70 Super Grade rifle at some longer distances. Best of luck to everyone who goes and looking forward to seeing pictures/reading of the adventure.

Hey, guys.

Sounds like some of you already have your own plans and others are interested. It should be fun to have a bunch of like-minded LRH'ers.

The owners and staff are just the kind of people you'd like to spend time with.

Last edited:
Hey Len,
Just purchased a preference point and emailed Jacob to see what hunt and when your booking. Hope to see you in 2013 in Wyoming. Cheers, Harold "Mugz" Mullen 970-884-0540

Len I hunt parts of "H"it's an over the counter tag for residents.use your preference points for 128 it's a rut hunt in nov. Some pretty good bucks are down then.good hunting good shooting.1300 meters

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts