Huns & Sharp tails near Billings Montana

Cinchy

My Son & his family are going to Billings for a wedding that coincides with the Hun-Sharp tail season opener. He is curious if there is any decent walk in areas in easy driving distance? He plans on hauling his own dogs for the trip any way, might as well get in some hunting. Just curious of the available huntable ground, not any bodies hot spots!

"Easy driving distance" is a relative thing in that country. I used to hunt pheasant in the YellowTail WMA, which is about an hour south of Billings. Not sure about the Hun or sharptail population those. He may want to reach out to the local game warden for advice. As far as public/private goes, I always had good luck knocking on doors for access. Most people will let you bird hunt way before they would let you on for big game.

I live about 20 miles West of Billings. Pick up OnX Hunt maps for cheap and check out Block Management areas there. We got into Huns about 25 miles Southwest of Blgs years ago on a piece of private land. I knew the owner who has since sold the place. Incidentally, my brother put an incredible shot on a Hun and his dog made an unbelievable retrieve on that hunt. Anyway, just because the Block Management Area description says upland birds that doesn't mean there are any there. I second the advice on calling the local warden and knocking on doors in likely looking habitat. Good luck!

My Son & his family are going to Billings for a wedding that coincides with the Hun-Sharp tail season opener. He is curious if there is any decent walk in areas in easy driving distance? He plans on hauling his own dogs for the trip any way, might as well get in some hunting. Just curious of the available huntable ground, not any bodies hot spots!
I've read your post. i guess I am naive, however, what is a "HUNT-SHARP" tail opener??

He might take a drive down towards Bridger or Red Lodge. As others have suggested, use OnX, check BMAs, and reasonable driving distance is pretty relative around here. Within a couple of hours is typically reasonable. Billings is a "big city" so there are quite a few people that get into stuff close by.

Well you should read closer, I didn't type hunt ! I put a slash between Hun-Sharptail, instead of Hun & Sharptail lol
As I wrote, I "did" not know what you were writing about, thus the reply. I am always trying to either learn something from this forum or provide some information and be helpful on this forum; and.....try not to be a critic of other's responses. Please accept my humble apology for not reading your post more properly as you said I SHOULD!! It will not happen again, that I can assure you!!