Huge dilemma (6.5-284)

Backcountry_IDN

So I'm in a bind at the moment. My build will be done this friday. Has a 1:7 twist just for reference.

I have a leupold vx5hd with impact reticle on layaway right now. Only owe $4 bills left.

Now, I'm just getting into reloading. (I know a little bit already)

Obviously with my 1:7 twist I will highly be limited on factory ammo so I will almost have to reload for it.

Here's the dilemma.

Buy the rcbs rockchucker kit and start loading now? But then I can't shoot it because I won't have the optic. Then put an extra$200 down on the layaway?

Or buy the optic, and shoot the 130ab at my local sportsman's just for barrel break in? And buy the kit in a few months?

Sorry guy I'm stressing haha. Also need to start saving for my honeymoon after I get married in August. That why I can't do both now.

Also been thinking of selling my 6.5rpr but it was an Xmas gift so I probably shouldn't. But it would fund everything I need.

Thanks guys. Pic for attention

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1529039799266.jpg
    FB_IMG_1529039799266.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 171
Oh yeah i figured. I've got brass, powder and bullets right now. (Lapua, R19, 142ablr)

I thought the kit came with a measuring device?

You're gonna need a lot more than just the RC kit. Powder, primers, bullets, cleaning equip, measuring devices etc..... the list is long and for some its endless. Get the scope and start shooting.

I don't know if it comes w/ calipers, I know it does not come w/a comparator. Regardless, the kit isn't all inclusive... what about dies? Sounds like your budget is tighter than a fat girl on prom night.

Haha at the moment it is. I have dies. I guess I could go over to a buddy's house and use his rcbs. Just a pain in the *** unfortunately.

I don't know if it comes w/ calipers, I know it does not come w/a comparator. Regardless, the kit isn't all inclusive... what about dies? Sounds like your budget is tighter than a fat girl on prom night.

I have the RCBS single stage master press kit Preston.
I got it on sale plus a rebate and it was only $180. I really like it. The Uniflow powder measure is the only one I've used but I always measure every charge on the scale anyways.

To get off the ground I would just use whatever factory ammo you can get for it. Being that it's a custom I'm sure it would be adequately accurate with factory loads. My creedmoor shoots 1/2 MOA with factory ammo, I have had brass prepped for it for 6 months but haven't bothered reloading for it.

You could pull a scope off another gun to be able to shoot it? All my current Rifles have the same rail setup so I just swap scopes off a gun into a new one just to be able To shoot it.

You won't regret the VX5HD, only scope I will put on my hunting guns now.

I have the RCBS single stage master press kit Preston.
I got it on sale plus a rebate and it was only $180. I really like it. The Uniflow powder measure is the only one I've used but I always measure every charge on the scale anyways.

To get off the ground I would just use whatever factory ammo you can get for it. Being that it's a custom I'm sure it would be adequately accurate with factory loads. My creedmoor shoots 1/2 MOA with factory ammo, I have had brass prepped for it for 6 months but haven't bothered reloading for it.

You could pull a scope off another gun to be able to shoot it? All my current Rifles have the same rail setup so I just swap scopes off a gun into a new one just to be able To shoot it.

You won't regret the VX5HD, only scope I will put on my hunting guns now.

I was thinking about ordering online some ammo. I'm just not sure on the 130s if I'll get any type of a group from it unfortunately. Just seeing it being a 1:7. But i can definitely use it as a break in opportunity and nosler brass is always good.

I have a vortex gen 1 PST that I could take off but I'm about to loan it to a buddy for this season. I have an shv on my current .300wm but if I can't get this one in tune before season I'll need my .300 for sure.

I'm definitely excited and can't wait for that vx5hd. Sweet sweet glass. And light!

Had a similar issue last year, ended up buying the optic and shooting factory hsm Sierra gameking 140s, while I waited for dies. Barrel will need break in plus got a few pieces of lapua brass. I would save your money and buy your reloading stuff with a more open budget, it seems to be never ending for things to buy!

Had a similar issue last year, ended up buying the optic and shooting factory hsm Sierra gameking 140s, while I waited for dies. Barrel will need break in plus got a few pieces of lapua brass. I would save your money and buy your reloading stuff with a more open budget, it seems to be never ending for things to buy!

Very true! It gets more and more inclusive as I go on. I believe that's what I'll do then. Get the optic and at least just shoot. Thank you

One lesson I learned from buying reloading equipment ...
Buy quality equipment the first time and not have to upgrade many times!
You'll be money ahead in the long run.
This is true with all shooting aspects in my opinion. Buy the good stuff leave the other junk alone.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.