HSM Ammo blows primer

BS on the "they think it's the brass" excuse. I have pulled the bullets in the other 19 loaded rounds that didn't blow primers and while the brass was all dented to hell, it shot fine when I reloaded it with IMR 7828, even using their primer, which I am sure is a F215.

Tell me what ball powder would be safe at loads between 88.0 and 91.0 grains in a 7STW, pushing a 168 Berger. That's the charge weights I am finding in the 19 I pulled. I have pics to verify and a second box of the same exact lot I havn't touched yet. I am thinking maybe someone put in 7mm Ultra Mag charges into a 7STW case.

I would think that OVERLOADED ammo is as big a product safety concern as anything out there and these guys would be doing everything to fix this concern. Glad I decided not to shoot anymore.

Just curious, if you have the ability to handload why use any factory loaded ammo?

Your claim is best address directly with them. They need to know as it becomes a liability issue, SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY.

Good luck!

I bought the ammo because I already found that the gun liked 168 Bergers and the cost was only a bit more than buying unloaded Nosler brass, the only head stamped option available.

I asked on here because I am not as experienced with the STW as many here. The immediate response here was mostly HSM ammo is great, so I thought maybe it's me not them. I called and got no response the first time and didn't feel like I should have to hound them about a safety issue, so I ended up pulling the rest of the bullets.

I can tell you that if the quality of those loaded rounds is indicative of their typical quality in terms of load variation, neck and bullet runout, and condition of brass, then I would not recommend them.

I bought the ammo because I already found that the gun liked 168 Bergers and the cost was only a bit more than buying unloaded Nosler brass, the only head stamped option available.

I asked on here because I am not as experienced with the STW as many here. The immediate response here was mostly HSM ammo is great, so I thought maybe it's me not them. I called and got no response the first time and didn't feel like I should have to hound them about a safety issue, so I ended up pulling the rest of the bullets.

I can tell you that if the quality of those loaded rounds is indicative of their typical quality in terms of load variation, neck and bullet runout, and condition of brass, then I would not recommend them.

You got the HSM recommendation because of their favorable personal experience. If you have a different experience then you need to address them to the proper channels that can make the difference. This forum cannot do that ... but you can just like the efforts you're doing here.

I have a couple of hunting buddies that use HSM ammo (7MM Mag and .300 Win Mag) exclusively with very good success ... so no, it's a typical quality. BTW, they order them directly from HSM.

You got the HSM recommendation because of their favorable personal experience. If you have a different experience then you need to address them to the proper channels that can make the difference. This forum cannot do that ... but you can just like the efforts you're doing here.

I have a couple of hunting buddies that use HSM ammo (7MM Mag and .300 Win Mag) exclusively with very good success ... so no, it's a typical quality. BTW, they order them directly from HSM.[/QUOTE]

As I do as well. Well, IQ metals now. HSM quit selling direct about a year or so ago. ago.

There are a ton of varibles in any ammunition, something all reloaders know all too well so anyone at any time can get something that isn't quite right, exactly what occured with me and PPU but I was persistent and actually got reimbursed for all I purchased and I kept the rounds, which I pulled and reloaded.

I've gotten a number of boxes in 308/Sierra and 338 Lapua/Sierra from HSM with no issues other than they didn't set the pills to my previously requested COAL in the 338 Flavor.

Interesting. When I click on my HSM webpage I get redirected to IQ metals. Been ordering from them when I order, infrequently.

I need to look into that.....lightbulb

Interesting. When I click on my HSM webpage I get redirected to IQ metals. Been ordering from them when I order, infrequently.

I need to look into that.....lightbulb

I don't get the re-direct that you're referring to but here's what I see when I go to order info ...

Attachments

• HSM.jpg
    HSM.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 24
What got me started with HSM, wasn't this site but rather a good friend of my wife and I who happens to be a DIS agent. They get all their ammunition from HSM. besides, I like the orange boxes and styrofoam liners.....

Thanks for the heads up. I deleted the redirect and loaded the correct site.

What got me started with HSM, wasn't this site but rather a good friend of my wife and I who happens to be a DIS agent. They get all their ammunition from HSM. besides, I like the orange boxes and styrofoam liners.....

Thanks for the heads up. I deleted the redirect and loaded the correct site.

Cheers! Those closed-cell extruded polystyrene foam rocks! :D

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.