HSM Ammo Anyone???

hnts4fun

I know what I'm about to say is tantamount to blasphemy with this crowd but here goes... I don't reload... yet. I've read good reviews on HSM extended range ammo by The Hunting Shack and they offer a 7 mag loading with the 168 grain Berger VLD.

I wonder if any members have any experience with this ammo.

Thanks!
Matt

gun)Yea HSM!! I shoot HSM 270, 130gr. Have not shot a more consistent round of ammo by any premium label. I do not reload either, but when the animal goes straight down it doesn't know it wasn't harvested by a well refined reload.

My rifle is the "old" Rem 700 Sendero. Bull barrel, Burris Fulfield II, Leupold rings/bases. Shoots a small cloverleaf at 200yds. You will do good with the HSM product.

Good shooting,
Winnemuccajohn

If I might dovetail onto the original post, I intend on shooting the 7mm 168 Berger VLD's from HSM and I also do not reload nor own a chronograph. I am currently progressing through Brian Litz's book and am acute to the fact that measured average muzzle velocity is an important/critical aspect of all the details one needs for accurate input into a ballistics program to get a correspondly accurate result. In the absence of determining my specific rifles average MV by finding someone with a chrono, how close to "close" would I be if I used HSM's or Bergers advertised muzzle velocity for that round exiting my 24" bull barrel?

As has been noted, it seems LRH and reloading are dependently exclusive to each other and therefore if one ventures into LRH then they should expect to also venture into reloading. That is most likely the path I will follow but only if I can be assured that I can even afford the investment of reloading equipment based on the number of opportunities I am presented with to shoot beyond 600yds.

Without scorching my ears too severly:cool:, I would appreciate any info anyone can provide regarding the consistency /accuracy of the advertised MV for HSM's 7mm 168 gr VLD Berger offerings. Thanks.

Winnemuccajohn,

I too am shooting an older Sendero with a 24 inch bull barrel. I'm glad for your comment on the HSM ammo.

Chief1942,

It'll be a couple of weeks before I'm able, but I have friends with chronographs and plan to measure the muzzel velocities for velocities as well as std deviation. I also plan to zero at two hundred and check drops on out at the range to run the data through a balistic program. It will be awhile before I accumulate all the tools for myself but I'm lucky enough to have friends with gear and the HSM ammo may buy me some time if the accuracy is there.

Sounds like fun for all of us!

Matt

Winnemuccajohn,

I too am shooting an older Sendero with a 24 inch bull barrel. I'm glad for your comment on the HSM ammo.

Chief1942,

It'll be a couple of weeks before I'm able, but I have friends with chronographs and plan to measure the muzzel velocities for velocities as well as std deviation. I also plan to zero at two hundred and check drops on out at the range to run the data through a balistic program. It will be awhile before I accumulate all the tools for myself but I'm lucky enough to have friends with gear and the HSM ammo may buy me some time if the accuracy is there.

Sounds like fun for all of us!

Matt

Thanks Matt . As I get into this LRH game it seems one needs more and more equipment in order to do it right. I may be priced out of the endeavor even though I've already made a sizable investment in accumulating some of the necessary items ie.Semi-custom Savage 110 7mmRem Mag, Leupold 8.5X24X50 scope, ACI, Kestrel. PPC, etc. Just not sure how much further I can go with the $$$. When you do the testing I would surely appreciate hearing the results.

Chief1942, you bet I'll pass on results! I know it'd be real nice to have it ALL but I think having our heads in the game is the most important thing we can do. I have a friend who has been shooting long range and winning matches for over 20 years using open sights and "Quigley Down Under" rifles, or blackpowder rifle cartridges. He dopes the wind by watching mirage; and he shoots 4 inch groups at 550 yards all day long. He killed an elk at 700 yards firing only a single shot.

There's no time limit for all the stuff...it'll come. Sounds like you got some great equiptment already.

Later
Matt

Yes, both HSM products below before I started reloading this year. I was getting 1/2 to 3/4 MOA @ 100 yards (didn't get a chance to try on further distance or game) on both my .300WMs (Savage 111F and SAKO M995). HSM's customer service is excellent.

Good luck!

002-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

Feenix,
While you were using the HSM factory loads, were you using their established muzzle velocity or did you test them to see what the MV was from your rifle? What I am looking for is substantiation that I can use HSM's stated velocity for their 168 VLD Berger round in a ballistic program and come close enough to be accurate at ,say 600 to 800 yds. What was the longest range you shot those HSM loads at and what was their accuracy at those ranges? Thanks.

even without a chrony, you can still shoot and determine drops. Shoot every 100 or 50 yards as far as you care to shoot, 3 shots, and plot your drop table from that.... You can compare that with an online ballistic calculator and back into your other data from there....

Feenix,

Thanks for your input! I know that accurate reloading and a good understanding of barrel harmonics is vital to getting the absolute best accuracy out of a rifle. However, HSM is offering the 168 grain Berger VLD in the chambering of my choice, 7 mag, and I'm hoping the accuracy level is acceptable for my first phase long-range work.

Thanks all for your comments, I'm learning from each and every one of them!

Matt

Feenix,
While you were using the HSM factory loads, were you using their established muzzle velocity or did you test them to see what the MV was from your rifle? What I am looking for is substantiation that I can use HSM's stated velocity for their 168 VLD Berger round in a ballistic program and come close enough to be accurate at ,say 600 to 800 yds. What was the longest range you shot those HSM loads at and what was their accuracy at those ranges? Thanks.

Sorry but the only test I was able to do was groups at 100 yards before I decided on reloading.

Good luck!

Feenix,

Thanks for your input! I know that accurate reloading and a good understanding of barrel harmonics is vital to getting the absolute best accuracy out of a rifle. However, HSM is offering the 168 grain Berger VLD in the chambering of my choice, 7 mag, and I'm hoping the accuracy level is acceptable for my first phase long-range work.

Thanks all for your comments, I'm learning from each and every one of them!

Matt

I am very pleased with the accuracy I was getting during my tests ... I'm sure you'll be as well.

Good luck!

I have shot a small amount of the 168 gr 7mm in my Browing with Boss. It was easy to find the sweet spot, up from 160 gr. I loved the results. I also don't reload, with the BOSS, I haven't found the need.

I hate to be the downer in the group, but just want to make you aware that there are cases where it's not the best factory round for a particular rifle.

I tried a box of 115gr. VLDs through my .25-06 and had much better results with Hornady's Custom Ammunition loaded with their 117gr. SST.
I have to assume that my rifle just didn't like their load. I now reload for this rifle and plan to soon go to using the 115gr. VLD but most likely a different powder charge and seating depth than what they had.

Good luck with them. I hope they work out great for you. From what everyone else is sayin my rifle must have been the exception to the rule.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.