HS pro series stock

jon12

I am looking at these HS precision stocks and would like to know how good they are. Do they have good accuracy potential? Im wondering about this aluminum bedding block too. Does it provide good solid bedding for the action and is extra bedding like epoxy/glass bedding necisary or helpful(i know they say to just bolt it in)? Also, does the bedding block contact the barrel anywhere or can the barrels(even fairly heavy barrels) be easily free floated?
Thanks.

So happens that we are bedding one right now. H-S stocks do require skim bedding, that is a fact of life. I was told that by some very knowledgable folks down in their factory. Having said that I have shot many unbedded H-S stocks (such as on Rem. VS and Win. Stealths) that shot extremely well.

The process can range from dabbing some bedding material into the lug and tang area to full action bedding with Marine Tex or whatever around the sides of the action as well as the bottom. Plus the bottom metal can be bedded for a nicer fit.

Barrel channels are usually large enough that the barrel will be floated as the stock comes from the factory. I have never seen an H-S barrel channel opened larger, perhaps some of the smiths here can comment.

So if i ordered an hs pro series sporter or varmit stock from them or somebody else how much do yall think it would cost to have a local gunsmith glass/epoxy/whatever bed the action and make sure the barrel was floating and would accuracy gains by having it bedded like this over just screwing the action in tight be worth paying to do it?

Also any other info, reviews, experiences with the hs pro series stocks would be helpful too.

Thanks.

You could buy a kit from Brownells and do it yourself. There are instructions included in their excellent kits.

I would also watch the various sniper sites and other hunting sites for HS stocks for sale, you could save a bit of money there. Maybe e-Bay also. Surprising how many stocks are sold via the internet.

Accuracy gains are questionable - many rifles shoot great in HS stocks with little to no bedding. Winchester puts a dab of bedding compound in the recoil lug recess and around the tang screw hole, and their rifles shoot well. That is bare minimum but it works, more elaborate bedding involves the entire action area.

A friend does a superb job of bedding these stocks but it takes a couple of days and a lot of painstaking work. He does the entire action one day, then the floorplate assembly the next day. When the rifles are finished they make a different sound when you dry fire - metal to metal fit is perfect.

I have had rifles shift slightly in HS stocks to the point that the barrel was not centered. Bedding will ensure that the receiver and barrel stay put, plus the tighter fit should enhance accuracy.

Please take a few minutes when you get it and check it for straightness. I bought one of the tactical pro stocks. From action out to the forend it's bowed like a banana.

This is the second one like this. I have been buying them for 12 years, seems last few years quality is slipping.

Respectfully, Vern

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.