Hs precision?

300-shooter

Hi their, i have been looking for a gun to shoot up to and over a thousand yards. i have taken interest in the Hs precision 2000 LA in a 300 rum. I cant find any reviews on this gun, wondering if any of you may have some info they would be willing to provide. I am sure on the caliber, also should i be spending the $4000. on this gun or go custom? or just stick with a Savage or Tikka? thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Hi their, i have been looking for a gun to shoot up to and over a thousand yards. i have taken interest in the Hs precision 2000 LA in a 300 rum. I cant find any reviews on this gun, wondering if any of you may have some info they would be willing to provide. I am sure on the caliber, also should i be spending the $4000. on this gun or go custom? or just stick with a Savage or Tikka? thanks for your time!
An Accutrigger savage will shoot as good as any high dollar HS precision.
If it were my money I would would put get a savage and put it in a nice mannars stock and put the money I saved to what ever use i deemed fit.

For $3000 you can get a real nice full custom rifle that will probably out shoot an HS. For $2000 or less, you could buy a new Howa, sell the stock and barrel and get the action blueprinted and trued, and put on a B&C stock and a good custom barrel that would probably out shoot an HS. If I had the funds, I would go that route instead of any factory rifle barrel.

-Mark

Come on guys the HS guns are custom, I have had two of them and both are very nice. No stock gun can even come close to quality. Yes some stock guns shoot nice, but how about a moa of 1/2 to buyer.

Come on guys the HS guns are custom, I have had two of them and both are very nice. No stock gun can even come close to quality. Yes some stock guns shoot nice, but how about a moa of 1/2 to buyer.

I'm not saying that HS rifles aren't custom quality or cant shoot. What I am saying is, that for $3000 vs $4000, you can get an equally good, maybe better rifle, and..... you have a lot more to chose from, i.e., you can pick your action, barrel, bottom metal, trigger, stock, etc.

And if you did a build off a Howa or Rem action, you could cut the cost even further, up to another $1000, and still get a very nice, sub .5 MOA rifle that will shoot with any HS.

For the $$$$, I would go with a Howa build and be very happy.

I called HS when I was trying to decide who was going to build my custom rifle. I was less than impressed with the customer service that I received. I felt that I was inconveniencing them by calling and asking a few questions. I am not saying that this is the way they do business, it's just my experience. That's why I went with Jim See. Having HS build my gun would have been much more convenient, since they are here in town, but I wanted a great experience also. That's what I have with Jim. BTW, I spent less than $4k on my rifle including scope and case.

I called HS when I was trying to decide who was going to build my custom rifle. I was less than impressed with the customer service that I received. I felt that I was inconveniencing them by calling and asking a few questions. I am not saying that this is the way they do business, it's just my experience. That's why I went with Jim See. Having HS build my gun would have been much more convenient, since they are here in town, but I wanted a great experience also. That's what I have with Jim. BTW, I spent less than $4k on my rifle including scope and case.

I havd a very similar experience when I called HS about possibly getting one of their stocks. The man I talked to wasn't particularly friendly and seemed to be put out that i was bothering him about a stock. His reply was, that they made their stocks for their rifles, which I though was very odd since they advetrtise their stocks on their web site... and still do. Very strange....

i have seen and shot HS rifles and in my opinion I would never spend that kind of $$$ on a "custom factory". JARHEAD1371 had (in my opinion) a nicer rifle for less $$. Go custom. +1 for Jim at CenterShotRifles. I havent got him to build me anything yet, but will as soon as I can get the money to. HS stuff is still very nice, custom is just nicer.

I havd a very similar experience when I called HS about possibly getting one of their stocks. The man I talked to wasn't particularly friendly and seemed to be put out that i was bothering him about a stock. His reply was, that they made their stocks for their rifles, which I though was very odd since they advetrtise their stocks on their web site... and still do. Very strange....

Who did you guys talk to? I've contacted them several times and had positive experiences each time. Their stocks are IMHO the best bargain for the money.

+1 on the bad customer service.... I got the same reaction as I was bothering them when I asked about their rifles.......

It kind of depends on what type of rifle you want to build. Are you looking for a hunting type long range or a tactical type ? I cant speak out of experience but a Howa would be far from the top of my list to use as a donnor action. A trued rem 700 and the many clones out there are bar far better IMO. For the $ you plan to spend I would try Grey Bull Prc... in a hunting type rig.. The time ive talked to them they have been great. Or get a Darrell Holland action and build off of that. They come with a jewel trigger for around 1250 $
If its a tactical rig I would go with a surgeon and just have them build the whole thing. As far as the RUM goes... I love mine.... The reciol with 185 bergers and retumbo is not too bad with a brake. If you want to do alot of shooting plan on buying alot of powder... The big rum loves to eat it.. There are so many choices out there its mind blowing. Just my two cents.... have fun.

Last edited:
I have an HS, but mine is a prohunter lite. With the loads it doesn't like it runs around 3/4MOA and with the loads it likes it shoots under halfMOA. Thats a rifle that it 6.8 pounds scoped. It fit's exactly what I wanted that rifle to be.

Comparing apples to apples a custom is going to be very close in price. A stiller action is a grand, Timney trigger 175, bottom metal 300, barrel 400, stock 500ish, muzzle brake 250. Say 2600 that leaves 400 for the smith for chambering, bedding etc... Since I paid 3000 for my HS. If you look at any of the off the shelf customs (Borden, Rifles inc, Sisk, NULA etc) you will be in the same price range.

All that said I would not go to HS for a long range rig. I would go custom, Stiller or BAT action, Lilja barrel, A5 stock, Jewell trigger, not sure on which bottom metal. But you get a rifle setup for exactly what you want. HS doesn't really build a rifle that seems to fit into the usual long range rig on this site.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts