HS Precision

duovid

Hello all,

I am new to long range hunting after years of stalking and would like some advise on rifles available from HS Precision. Anyone who could comment on their accuracy claims, workmanship and finnish of the rifle that you purchased would be most appreciated. In particular what additional work needs doing to these rifles to make them shoot groups suitable for use on small to medium size deer from 300 to 1000 yards. I would invite comments from those who actually own or have significant long range experience with these rifles, not rumours or armchair hunters thoughts.

Thanks for a great website,

Regards,

Duovid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I am a HS nut!!! I have several of their 2000P handguns ( bolt action single shot high powered pistols). I have not done anything to mine except to put 3x12 burris EER scopes on them. check out the specialty handgun section here and look for the post on the WSM's, these groups are all shot with HS's. I have used mine for game out beyond the 400 yd mark and am presently setting up the three of the HS's (270, 7mm and 300 WSM) for long range shooting and hunting.
I have not been dissapointed in any of my HS's. They will shoot as guaranteed.
nmhunter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Duovid,
I have shot an HS Varminter in .308 Win. a lot and it is a fine rifle. Easily meets their 0.5" criteria IF I can hold that well. Had some issues with it but they were corrected and I believe addressed with factory production. Trigger and ejector needed tweeking, both fixed and OK. Have just under 5000 rounds through the rifle and it is still shooting like new. I cannot say anything but positive about the rifle as it is now.

For a Pro-Series 2000 PHR in 300 WM, nice fit, fairly light rifle considering the barrel contour, light recoil for a 300 WM of this weight, nice trigger, very rough stock, not as in poorly finished but rough as in 40 Grit.

In no way would I want anyone to think I was an expert or very experienced with H-S Precision's products but I do have one experience to share.

My uncle purchased an H-S precision Pro-Hunter in 300 WM a couple of weeks ago. We put a Mark 4 4.5x14 50mm on it and over the course of 2 days, fired about 11 different hand loads through it. These loads were loaded with 165 and 180 Sciroccos, 180 Nosler BTs, 165 Nos. Partitions and 180 Nos. Partitions. These were all book loads ranging from book max's to about 1/2 way between book max and book low's. We were using RL 19, RL 22, and Hodgden 4831SC. The best loads were in the 1.5 MOA to 2 MOA category (not really any need to break out the micrometer in this situation) and the worst were somewhere in the 4 MOA category (a yardstick or a few horse biscuits work well to measure these).

H-S did send a 3-shot group that they shot at the factory with the rifle that was under .5 inches but it was with a load that is actually below the Nosler book low for this bullet with this powder (69 gr of RL-19 behind a 180 Nosler BT). We used Federal GM215s for the 1st 5 loads and Winchester Magnum Rifle Primers for the last 6 loads. The Federal GM215s seemed to be better but didn't make a great difference. Needless to say, my uncle is a little bit bitter.

Does anyone have any advice on what we should try to make this rifle live up to expectations?

Duovid, if I were you, I would build my own rifle. I believe the H&S Rifles cost around $2,500.00. All you need is the following to build your own;

1. Remington 700 Long Action $375.00
2. McMillan HTG stock $550.00
3. Krieger 26" barrel $300.00
4. Rifle Basix trigger $100.00
5. Vias muzzle brake $100.00
6. Leupold rings and bases $150.00
7. Gunsmithing, Truing and Squaring action, bedding stock, installing muzzle brake, ect, I am guessing, would be around $600.00.
8. Total would be about $2,200.00.

If you go this route and have a gunsmith like Kirby or Shawn build your rifle, It will out perform the H&S rifle with ease.

You can buy a Remington 700 Long Action from Brownells. I would really look into having your rifle built. H&S rifles are semi-custom at best, they don't come close to a custom rifle.

Wildcat

Duovid,

Saw some big deer with your name on them tonight. You better hurry up and get that new cannon. 635 m with Leica rangefinder 5.05 pm 2/6/07 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Booooooom, Whoooooosh.............Whop!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If it's brown.....It's down !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have never purchased an HS rifle but I have two buddy's who have. One shot ok but he was disappointed that an Tikka, CZ, out shot it for a 1/4 of the price. The second friend bought a piece to say the least. It shot horrible to make a long story short he sent it back to them 3 times and they could not get it right obviously he was mad when the would not refund his money from his experience I wasn't to impressed with there customer service. This was enough for me not to ever consider them. That said I know a few people that have used there stocks and are happy with them.

I think there rifles are over priced to say the least. I would say build your own as well if your willing to spend that kind of money , or buy a Tikka or a CZ and get two rifles for the price of the HS scoped and ready to go.

I gave up on buying rifles several years ago, I like the Tikka actions so I find a 695 or a 595 white tail hunter action put a Krieger or lilja barrel on it in my caliber of choice. Then I do all the stock work my self. The last one I built was a 220 swift ackley improved ant this is the run down
slave rifle 435.00
barrel and gunsmith to but it on (blued) 525.00
Richards stock laminate 150.00
Brownells steel bed 40.00
sand paper/finish/ etc. 20.00
shipping 55.00
scope 549.00
rings 30.00
total 1804.00

This is a complete ready to shoot rifle. I spent two weekends or Saturdays and one Sunday getting the stock done. This rifle will shoot one ragged hole at 100 with five shots. The cost is lower the rifle shoots better. If you want a full custom rifle , like the man said there are a couple on this site whom have made quiet a name for themselves but I would start with a lawton or preditor action if I went that route.
Any way there is my 10 cents worth.

Rh

Hs certainly make a fine firearm, know doubt, but as you are a greenhorn getting into the sport, maybe start with something like.... Say,.. Rossi or H&R handi rifle in say... 45/70 . Those big bullets won't be going too fast, but will be great if you need to keep the noise down ! Know what I mean ??? Should handle those big brown deer out to an effective range of lets say... 50 yards? What more do you need ? See you in the TAB ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cross, I have found that the load that HS sends withtheir guns is on the low side of velocity, All of my 2000P's have shot as advertised with loads at the Max or just a hair above loadings. their guns don't seem to like the middle of the range loadings, either low or top end work the best for me. I have never had a customer service issue that was not taken care of. As far as their guns being custom or not , if you buy strictly from their catalog it would be at best a semi- custom, but you can specify exactly what you want from barrel length to rate of twist but all of this comes at a price. they will only chamber SAMMI though. They are not the best but they do shoot real well.
nmhunter
nmhunter

Duovid,

I have an HS in 338RUM. The rifle shoots good and will generally meet the 1/2" guarantee they claim. The barrel contour is a little light and needs to be allowed to cool between shots to do it though, especially between the 2nd and 3rd shots. It is also pretty picky about what load it will perform well with, but that is true of many rifles.

I am pretty pleased overall with the rifle, but if I had it to do over again I would have went full custom. I have since had two custom rifles built by Kirby (Fiftydriver). An HS is going to cost you 2,500+. Kirby or one of the other smiths on this site can build you better rifle for that, and you can go top of the line for 3,000 to 3,500. Obviously you can spend much more on a custom, but that will get a true long range shooter. The other good thing about Kirby is that he will take the time to work through what want to build, then will work with you when you have it to make sure it performs.

Not to knock HS, but for the money.........go custom.

Hey Starchild,

Yeah Im hearing you, re the noise! - Perhaps those with more experience could lace up their boots and direct a 'greenhorn' in the 'correct' techniques! - Its a bit late to make noise once the trigger has been squeezed and the 'greenhorn' is left red faced if you know what I mean!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.