HS precision tactical stocks, anyone have any input?

JustC

I was looking at the tactical HS Precisionj stocks for a 700 action. I have had great success with their Sendero stocks (Varmiter) on several custom rifles. I was wondering if anyone has used their tactical style stocks, and what your opinion is about them.

I am going to use this rifle for crop damage across the beanfields here, so if anyone has any reason to use or not to use this type on a LR hunter, let me know. I was looking at the McMillan A2 but they seem to be a little slower than the 4 months they quoted, according to my gunsmith.

I have a H-S Tactical on my 6mmAI heavy varmint rifle. It proved to be rather convenient for a rifle that was shot from the bench or prone in the field or other position where you may need to easily change the length of pull. The adjustable comb height is also helpful in getting your eye directly behind the scope regardless of scope height. I am using a 56mm Nightfoce and the adjustable comb is great. It can be easily lowered when using cleaning rods and returned to a comfortable shooting height in 2 seconds.
VH

Howdy JustC

I have used HS precision stocks for over a decade. I like the Pro Series Adjustable for larger calibers because of the Extended aluminum block, both forward and rearward, and the adjustibility for length of pull and comb height. They ride a front rest ok, but not as good as a bench rest stock. They really shine in the field with a bipod and a good rear bag. The accuracy is not that good with just bolting it in, but when bedded on top of the aluminum block properly the accuracy is outstanding. Take a look at the group STL_Shooter posted under my new wolf, That was shot with an HS stock. The other stock maker we get exceptional accuracy with is Lone Wolf, but they are more expensive, lighter, and even stiffer.

I think it is important to decide what style of front support you want and then look at what choices fit that style, and of all those choices pick the one that fits you physically and meets your weight requiremants.

Thank you Varmint Hunter, I will be using the same scope, so that helps.

S1,... I use a 15" bull bag up front and rabbit ears at the rear. I figured the more narrow forward area of the tactical stocks would ride the bull bag very well. This set-up will be used for crop damage until I have found the load and learned some more about wind and adjusting for it, then I will switch to a benchrest stock and try some matches. Do you think the HS Precision tactical will give me a good long range platform with the set-up I have? I sure have had good luck with the others. Thanks

Justin

VH, that's a pretty rig, but I am afraid a 300RUM won't fit in a SA. Did you buy that stock from a wholesaler or from HS Precision themselves? Is that one of the adjustable cheek and LOP model? Thanks

Justin

I bought the stock directly from H-S. My 40X has been titanium bedded into the stock and shoots quite well.
Ever consider the 300RUM SS (super short)?
grin.gif

The stock has both the adjustable LOP and comb.
The forearm bottom is slightly radiused and may be more stable from a bullsbag or similar field bag. I have had good results shooting from the bi-pod. A 300RUM may require a much heavier bi-pod than the Harris to prevent flexing under recoil.
Personally, I prefer the recoil of my Matthews MQ2 over a 300RUM
grin.gif

VH

I have never used your front support set up, but if it is working great with other stocks, I can not imagine the Hs design holding you back.

JustC,
My longest kill was nearly 700yds and that was at 1/2 a groundhog. Yeh, he had another half but that was in the hole.
grin.gif

I either shoot off a conventional front rest or right off the Harris bi-pod.
I may be interested in selling my H-S Tactical if you're interested. The rifle is going to be rebuilt with a new barrel and different conponents.
You can see the rig if you use this link and scroll down a little.
Scroll a little farther and you will see the varmint that I DIDN'T use the H-S tactical to get. http://www.angelfire.com/sd/6mmackley/CharlesRS.html
VH

[ 01-03-2003: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.