HS Precision frustration

RemingtonShooter

hi all,

I have a hsp sporter stock on my 270 . I recently went to swap it to a 7mm mag. It should fit, even hs says it should fit. But when the barreled action of the 7mm is bolted in, the bolt will not move. When i loosen it to point the bolt will operate, the action flops around in the stock. Hs said to remove some metal from the magazine. Well, before doing so, i bolted the action without the magazine at all, same symptons. Even with out the trigger guard. So it has something to do with the action it self. Worked fine in the 270.

The 270 is a few years old and is a sps model. The 7mm mag is a bdl model about 30 years old.

Any ideas??

hi all,

I have a hsp sporter stock on my 270 . I recently went to swap it to a 7mm mag. It should fit, even hs says it should fit. But when the barreled action of the 7mm is bolted in, the bolt will not move. When i loosen it to point the bolt will operate, the action flops around in the stock. Hs said to remove some metal from the magazine. Well, before doing so, i bolted the action without the magazine at all, same symptons. Even with out the trigger guard. So it has something to do with the action it self. Worked fine in the 270.

The 270 is a few years old and is a sps model. The 7mm mag is a bdl model about 30 years old.

Any ideas??

Sounds like the rear action screw is too long? If you hold the barreled action in place (with your hand or tape) and no screws, how does it cycle?

I think your front screw is too long.
Take the bolt out.
Tighten the action up in the stock.
Insert the bolt.
Try and close it.
If the bolt slides in freely, but stops about halfway when you turn the handle down, the lug is hitting the front action screw.
If the bolt is in when you tighten the screws the screw is hitting the lug and binding it so you can't move it.

You guys are great. And NEVER throw away old gun parts and screws! I found some from another stock swap that worked great.

Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.