How's this for parts?

JauntyMorel

I am in the process of aquiring parts for my first custom rifle and was wondering what you guys thought.:D I will be built of a trued remington model 7 action, a rock creek stainless barrel #3 contour, timney trigger, and hopefully a Mcmillan hunters EDGE stock. I want to cerakote the whole thing and mount it with a Leupy VX-3 2.5-8x33mm and talley rings and bases. I hope that hill country rifles will do the work, unless someone else is better for cheaper?
It will be chambered in .250 savage ackley improved, which isn't a really long range caliber but.....in my opinion a classic.:D Any suggestions on any parts? Im shooting for (pun intended) a roughly 6.5# rifle, and if it's closer to 7 its no big deal. So really kind of a pointless post, but i thought i would share.:rolleyes:

I am in the process of aquiring parts for my first custom rifle and was wondering what you guys thought.:D I will be built of a trued remington model 7 action, a rock creek stainless barrel #3 contour, timney trigger, and hopefully a Mcmillan hunters EDGE stock. I want to cerakote the whole thing and mount it with a Leupy VX-3 2.5-8x33mm and talley rings and bases. I hope that hill country rifles will do the work, unless someone else is better for cheaper?
It will be chambered in .250 savage ackley improved, which isn't a really long range caliber but.....in my opinion a classic.:D Any suggestions on any parts? Im shooting for (pun intended) a roughly 6.5# rifle, and if it's closer to 7 its no big deal. So really kind of a pointless post, but i thought i would share.:rolleyes:

Sounds like a good choice of parts for the 250 savage.

I'm not sure I would wildcat it because it is a great deer round Just like it is.

If you want more than the standard 250 offers the 260 rem would be a good alternative
and bullet selection is much better.

But if you wan't a 250 then by all means go for it , you wont be sorry .

Just an opinion
J E CUSTOM

I went with a lilja #2 on my backpack rifle but a number 3 shouldn't be much heavier. I'd like to recommend Rich Reilly of htcustoms (high tech customs) for a lightweight build. He did an amazing job on mine. There are many great rifle makers on this site as well and I think Shawn Carlock builts lightweight. I'm sure Kirby Allen would do a great job too, he's building my current long range rifle.

Sounds like a great and fun build. Post pics when it's done.

Last edited:
Nice list of components. Best of luck with the build and post some pics once complete.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.