Howdy From The Bitterroot

.308 Norma

New guy checking in..
I`m a 63 yr old fairly worn out fat guy who still loves the hunt. Can`t get around like I once did, but I know there`s still a 30" mule deer out there with my name on him. I`m a Vietnam Vet who hasn`t been unarmed since 1965. I`ve had any number of "favorite" weapons over the years, but the best, flattest shooter has to be my old 03A3 chambered in .308 Norma Mag. Not only a great shooter, but more importantly at my age, bull elk drop with one well-placed shot. I shot my first bull with a 30-30 on washington`s Olympic Peninsula, but as the years passed I wanted some knock-down.
Problem: Maggie probably weighs in at 12# loaded, so I had to put the old girl on a diet. Replaced old club of a walnut stock with a composite job from Cabela`s, lighter scope and rings, etc. Have the stock all fitted but I`m wondering if I should bed or not? If so, what and how?

thanks in advance for having me,
Griz

I cannot answer your bedding question , but I wanted to welcome you to LRH and I also want to thank you Sir. for your service ..

"Vietnam Vet who hasn't been unarmed since 1965" Now this is a fine example of a TRUE AMERICAN !!

gun)gun)

BigBuck

It all depends on how it shoots. If you happy with how well it works then there is no reason to. If you are not or dont want to worry about it down the road get it bedded. I have even seen aluminum bedding block stocks that needed bedded. It just depends on how well the gun works and if the actual bedding is what is causing accuracy problems or not. I know of a couple of companies that dont bed any stocks and the reviews were mixed but some of the shot lights out anyways. Its just one of them things that depends on how well the stock was made and what you expect or need out of your rifle.

bobby

Bigbuck:
Thanks so much for the warm welcome! It means tons to us old vets to be appreciated..Thank you!

bobbyl:
Thank you as well for responding with the solution I was hoping for. I`ll put `er back together and head for the range. Will let you know how tight a group she`ll hold.

"We can`t all be heroes..someone has to stand on the sidewalk and wave as they pass by." Will Rogers

Griz

Greetings from Great Falls of the Big Sky Country! Welcome to LRH and enjoy. You can never be to old to hunt and shoot. :D

From one Veteran to another, thanks for your service to our great nation. God bless all our troops and their families.

Ed

Thanks for the welcome Ed and Steve! And welcome home, Ed. This is a gr8 website with some really good people.

Griz

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.