Howa muzzle brake

rafterP

Good morning...not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I'll start here. I recently purchased a Howa 1500 Randy Newburg edition in .300winmag. Yesterday I took it out to sight it in and when I got home I noticed the muzzle brake was gone! I did not experience any weirdness while shooting...no extra noise, recoil, etc. I was shooting 3 shot groups and there was one group in which one of the shots did not hit the target. I assumed it to be shooter error, but was surprised because my other groups had been ok (under 2"). They were not great (I was shooting Federal 150gr; cheapest on the shelf for break-in), but all on the target. I think the missing shot must have been when it blew off. Have any of you experienced or heard such? I'll attach a pic. That is what's left of the brake. It was still screwed on...the front of the brake where all the holes were is gone! I didn't even notice til I got home and ran a cleaning rod down it and realized the brake was gone!
IMG_1970.JPG

Last edited:
Good morning...not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I'll start here. I recently purchased a Howa 1500 Randy Newburg edition in .300winmag. Yesterday I took it out to sight in and when I got home I noticed the muzzle brake was gone! I did not experience any weirdness while shooting...not extra noise, recoil, etc. I was shooting 3 shot groups and there was on group in which one of the shots did not hit the target. I assumed it to be shooter error, but suprised because my other groups had been ok (under 2"). They were not great (I was shooting Federal 150gr; cheapest on the shelf for break-in), but all on the target. I think the missing shot must have been when it blew off. Have any of you experienced or heard such? I'll attach a pic. That is the front of the brake where all the holes were. I didn't even notice til I got home and ran a cleaning rod down it and saw the brake was gone! View attachment 188960

YIKES! That has never happened to me. Is that the front (muzzle end) or the end that screws on the barrel?

Front (muzzle end) of muzzle brake
Ross Schuler 4-port 4 of 4.jpg

Back (screws onto the muzzle thread) end of muzzle brake
Ross Schuler 4-port 1 of 4.jpg

ADDED:

That looks more like a thread protector than muzzle brake, at least to me, but I could be wrong ...

Front (muzzle end)
Thread cap 1 of 2.jpg

Back
Thread cap 2 of 2.jpg

How about a picture of the entire part?

Found this on Howa's site ...

Randy 1 of 2.JPG

Last edited:
So...
I typed like 3 paragraphs as to why/how this could happen with a brake not installed correctly.

Then, in looking for some more info- I came across this, go to post #24 on page 2 and what follows....

Seems pretty obvious to me that Howa has a problem here- that brake must be some cheap *** Chicom sheet metal for the muzzle blast to be blowing it apart. Never seen this before. Yeah, brakes end up in pieces and downrange from lousy muzzle threading jobs that aren't concentric to the bore, or brakes that haven't been opened up enough over bullet diameter- but separating due to muzzle blast?

Suggest you contact Howa to log the complaint.

Then, get yourself a good quality brake to replace that ***. I'd recommend a Harrel's radial, or Shrewd as they're the same style, but they need to be opened up to correct bore size by a smith. I couldn't find the thread spec online, but looks like 9/16"-28, maybe?

Thanks for the replies. The piece I'm holding is what's left...it was still thread on the barrel. The front of the brake is facing out, but the holes are all gone. It was a radial style brake. I called Howa today and they're sending me an email to make a report. She asked if it was aluminum or steel. I didn't have a magnet to check it with. It sounded like they're going to make good on it. I looked at other brakes today. I hate to have to pay a gunsmith to replace a part that came with the rifle, but guess I'll have to.
eta: If they ask me to send it back, I'm going to ask if they'll install a quality brake, if I purchase and send it with the rifle.

Last edited:
I would suggest any of the hundreds of baffle type brakes out there rather than another radial. Sooner or later you'll be shooting prone and the radials really tend to throw a lot of crap up and on you. You could install one yourself if you use a jam nut setup to time it correctly.
Gen2completion 030.JPG

It blew apart right behind the holes and left the rear of the brake still screwed on. I may just send it in and have them check out the barrel, but just leave the thread protector on instead of a brake. It's a hunting rifle and I read that a lot of outfitters don't like them.
I like that it is threaded, because eventually I'd like to have a suppressor.

Last edited:
It blew apart right behind the holes and left the rear of the brake still screwed on. I may just send it in and have them check out the barrel, but just leave the thread protector on instead of a brake. It's a hunting rifle and I read that a lot of outfitters don't like them.
I like that it is threaded, because eventually I'd like to have a suppressor.

It's not a bad idea to have them check it. "I" am NOT a big fan of radial brakes. If it was me, I would find me another outfitter, but that's me.

Thanks everyone. FWIW, I spoke with Howa again today. They are shut down because of COVID, so I can't ship it back until 5/1. They offered to replace the brake with a steel brake at no charge. I asked them to just go ahead and put a thread protector on there and call it good. TBH, I couldn't tell a difference in recoil when the brake was on there, and after it blew off. The feedback I've gotten here and other places on the Net, makes me believe the radial brake is not the best idea when prone. The other brakes look rather tactical to me. I could see them in a PRS match, but what about other hunters...do ya'll use the big brakes on there?

The other brakes look rather tactical to me.

Not quite sure what that means, but...
Effectiveness of brakes is largely related to the volume of gas ported out/back to reduce felt recoil.
You've got twice the powder of a .308 being burned- and it takes substantial surface are to vent those combustion gases in order to be effective. Ever seen a JP recoil eliminator? Ugliest brake- and one of the most effective- on the market.

The *** brake from Howa was obviously not effective- if it were of a decent design, you would feel the difference.
Brakes DO work (assuming they're of good design), it's measurable and provable.

As noted, if you're shooting prone radials are not a great choice. If you're able to accurately shoot the rifle without the brake, no real need for it. Many can't, and develop a flinch or jerk the trigger in anticipation of getting their shoulder pounded.

Good morning...not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I'll start here. I recently purchased a Howa 1500 Randy Newburg edition in .300winmag. Yesterday I took it out to sight it in and when I got home I noticed the muzzle brake was gone! I did not experience any weirdness while shooting...no extra noise, recoil, etc. I was shooting 3 shot groups and there was one group in which one of the shots did not hit the target. I assumed it to be shooter error, but was surprised because my other groups had been ok (under 2"). They were not great (I was shooting Federal 150gr; cheapest on the shelf for break-in), but all on the target. I think the missing shot must have been when it blew off. Have any of you experienced or heard such? I'll attach a pic. That is what's left of the brake. It was still screwed on...the front of the brake where all the holes were is gone! I didn't even notice til I got home and ran a cleaning rod down it and realized the brake was gone!View attachment 188960
Looks like a very cheap brake to me
Was it threaded tight on the muzzle
I have a custom brake on my 375 H&H and is no problem Let us know what Howa says
Good luck

Get rid of the brake (you'll pee off everyone around you, lose your hearing and most outfitters ban them). Get a suppressor, 1000 times superior !