Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel- what is wrong?

Maybe this has no relevance to your problem but is something for everyone to know . I and a friend chased problems with his scope Nightforce on his proven rifle and load by doing all the usual things and could not determine the problem . It is a bug hole Remington ultra mag I gave to him . He had always shot it out of a loaded down lead sled . Finally out of desperation he removed the base , when he did he found broken screw or screws . He had the action rethreaded for the larger screws replace scope and rings and it shot as it always had .We do not know for sure the recoil or lack there of caused this but neither he nor I will ever use the lead sled . I do not know for sure , just saying .

You'll get a few folks on here that are adamant sled fans, but I agree with you that a lead sled prevents the rifle from its chosen recoil action straight back. That physics action needs to go somewhere. If one prevents it from going straight back into your shoulder, it's going to go in all directions.

When it really counts these junkers will lay down, if you cant make them work at the range how will you make them work in the field.

I couldn't agree more. I admit I am a bit cheap; I love to buy stuff that is better than the price suggests. But I have decided I'll never do that with the scopes or bases. Scopes are used to kill a living creature. A bad scope can cause pain, suffering and an agonizing death. I hate the feeling of looking an animal through the scope and wondering if the scope has retained zero and if the adjustments work as they should and if the bases have kept the scope where it should. I've had a ****** scope, and I promised myself I won't get there again. In my practice .22LR I have a chinese scope that has worked just fine so far, but I cannot say I trust it. However, the lack of recoil helps a bit.

Buy American you will be happier and you wont have to hide it from your friends at the range at the range.
...or maybe even better, European ;) Zeiss, Schmidt&Bender, Swarovski... 🥰

Edit: Accidentally listed Leupold as an European manufacturer, replaced that with S&B. Shouldn't try to be clever when not concentrating...

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more. I admit I am a bit cheap; I love to buy stuff that is better than the price suggests. But I have decided I'll never do that with the scopes or bases. Scopes are used to kill a living creature. A bad scope can cause pain, suffering and an agonizing death. I hate the feeling of looking an animal through the scope and wondering if the scope has retained zero and if the adjustments work as they should and if the bases have kept the scope where it should. I've had a ****** scope, and I promised myself I won't get there again. In my practice .22LR I have a chinese scope that has worked just fine so far, but I cannot say I trust it. However, the lack of recoil helps a bit.

...or maybe even better, European ;) Zeiss, Leupold, Swarovski... 🥰
Leupold scopes are all made in Beaverton, OR. It just sounds like a European name.

You guys all make some really good suggestions!
We are going to change the scope load some more rounds and give it a try.
I am actually thinking about asking my Dad to help us go over it and double check my work. Never hurts to have another experienced eye on a project like this.
I did email Howa and ask them if this would fall under a warranty issueo if the once over and scope swap do not work we will travel that route.

But Holy Cow- 8 months to get a rifle back!
If that is the case, We will most likely send it off to Howa and pick up another rifle for hunting season. My son expressed interest in a Ruger Predator in 6.5 Creed. Any thoughts?
This kid is paying for this himself. He wants to earn the money and make it his rifle. I am really proud of him for that but I hurt for him buying a cheap rifle... but he just turned 16 and I like seeing him tinker to try and figure it out. This is a much better pass time than playing a video game AND he has really started learning how to reload. Both of those are a plus in my book.
I have a Ruger Predator in 6.5 CM. It shoots .5 MOA with Hornady factory 143 gr. ELD-X ammo. Great rifle for the price.

Don't be shocked if hornady black isn't that good. I have a 2 mini's and and ar none shoot that stuff better than 1.25" but man do my hand loads shoot.
Also if you end up needing a new rifle just get him another grendel a I'm a huge fan of the least amount of recoil possible for kids and new shooters. For most the creed has no recoil but I'll tell you right now that when I volunteer for the youth hunt at a ranch by me that they all shoot better with a 300blk or 6.5 grendel. Remember the base he forms now is gonna stock with him a while. So learn the fundamentals right without having to worry about recoil. Same reason most of us have a practice rifle and don't practice with lapua's.
I had the same bad results from the Hornady Black 6.5 Grendel ammo in my 20" AR. The Hornady Custom ammo shoots great though as well as my reloads.

seems like you put good glass, mounts,etc on........So I would take the brass you have and reload them, find the OAL for the bullet of your choice bump it back a few thou an go shooting
6.5 Grendel - 120-123 grain bullets

Varget:
Start - 25.2 / Max - 28.9
CFE-223: Start - 26.2 / Max - 31.2

Alright, so here is the reply from Legacy Sports

We can process a Return Authorization to have our gunsmith inspect your firearm. Please be advised, hand loads can/will void any warranty for you.

hmmm...my warranty is void because I load ammunition?

Alright, so here is the reply from Legacy Sports

We can process a Return Authorization to have our gunsmith inspect your firearm. Please be advised, hand loads can/will void any warranty for you.

hmmm...my warranty is void because I load ammunition?
Been that way since I can remember. My personal firearms rule #10, "On newly acquired guns, factory ammo for the first 100 rounds".

If you buy another rifle meet him half way, dollar for dollar. Don't let him buy anything you wouldn't get yourself. This rifle will mean something special to him because it has part of you and him in it, something you did together. He's only a hop, skip, and a jump from man age. Go bigger than 6.5 creed(maybe 7saum, but I'm thinking 30cal), load down for now if necessary. Then he has a rifle that is more capable/versatile, IMO.

If you buy another rifle meet him half way, dollar for dollar. Don't let him buy anything you wouldn't get yourself. This rifle will mean something special to him because it has part of you and him in it, something you did together. He's only a hop, skip, and a jump from man age. Go bigger than 6.5 creed(maybe 7saum, but I'm thinking 30cal), load down for now if necessary. Then he has a rifle that is more capable/versatile, IMO.
This rifle will mean something special to him because it has part of you and him in it, something you did together.
I agree !! When my son shot his first buck, I surprised him with the gift of my Rem 700, and Puma knife. (I had it since I was 18, and shot a lot of bucks with it ) .To this day, he won't change anything about that rifle.

seems like you put good glass, mounts,etc on........So I would take the brass you have and reload them, find the OAL for the bullet of your choice bump it back a few thou an go shooting
6.5 Grendel - 120-123 grain bullets

Varget:
Start - 25.2 / Max - 28.9
CFE-223: Start - 26.2 / Max - 31.2
I have a 16" Precision Firearms AR Grendel and found it to be very picky about bullet seating depth. With my preferred Hornady 123 gr SST bullet, using the Hornady 26 comparator holder seating depth measured Cartridge base to Ogive 1.672" - 1.675" produces a sweet spot which dropped group sizes to about 3/4 MOA. Seated deeper or further out and the groups opened to 1.25MOA+. One of the most "severe" cases of the effect of bullet seating depth I have seen on any of my guns.

Also second bpcrshooter's load recommendations. CCI 450 primer, 31.0 gr CFE-223 Hornady 123 gr SST or 123gr Amax (discontinued by Hornady after the introduced the ELD-M ) works great in my 16" bbl. 2400 fps.

For sure!
May need to bring this rifle over to you guys.
We changed the scope out and put the Nightforce bases, Warne rings and the Nightforce scope on it.
It shot better, but not great.
Do you think you guys could make this thing shoot like it should for a decent price?
Yes sir! We'll get that rifle shooting like a champ

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.