Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel- what is wrong?

I sounds like you've hit most of the common "fixes" already. Swap the scope. If it will hit paper, shoot it at 50yards (to cut down on your variables) for several 3rd groups, giving it a little time to cool between groups, without changing your NightForce's settings. Doing that, you shouldn't have to completely re-zero when you put it back on your rifle.
If it's not the scope, I think I'd try to slug the barrel or capture one of the fired bullets to verify the bore size.
I have a Howa Mini action (7.62x39) that I had glass bedded into a Boyt stock. At 100yds, it's a one hole-1/2MOA rifle.
If I remember correctly, Howa guarantees those actions to shoot less than 1MOA so if you do have to resort to warranty work they should stand behind it.

I don't know if all of these have been suggested. Try -

+ Ensure front scope mount screw isn't too long. Screw in only that one screw until you feel light resistance. Then see if you can move the base. If it's hitting the barrel stud, switch it or grind it down slightly.

+ Ensure the front action screw isn't engaging the barrel threads. This is a semi-common issue with the minis. Almost the same test as above. Drop barreled action into stock. Start the front action screw through the guard. Only tighten until you feel slight resistance. Try to wiggle or lift the BA.

+ Check barrel tension. I have seen several (not this rifle specifically) barrels that were only hand-tight.

It's a nice rifle with good potential.

Bob

I would check the ring and base compatibility. I setup a TC Encore with your same scope/ring setup you have and a Weaver one piece base. It would not group and my first reaction was the scope was junk. Took the rifle home and changed out the Weaver one piece base with a TC base and it shot 1" groups at 100 yards. There was no indication that there was anything wrong with the Weaver base, it was installed and torqued to spec, but my guess is the rings didn't lockup properly in the slots.

On swapping your Nightforce as a check.

It's best to change only one item at a time to track down the problem. Is your Nightforce the same tube diameter? If you have to swap rings and scope you still won't know which is the problem.

Bob

1) look at your crown. I had a similar issue with a Savage and turned out it there was a ding in the muzzle crown.

2) How experienced is the shooter? Inconsistencies can cause terrible groups. If the parallax isn't set correctly, different head placement, different trigger finger placement and flinching can all cause terrible groups. No disrespect intended.

3) Call Howa. I'm sure they will take care of it.

First try another scope- also if you are hand loading what bullet? I had a similar problem tryed to use
Cutting Edge bullets The targets looked pretty similar to yours. Went to Berger's and end of problem.
i put my money on the scope though.

Trying to find out what is wrong with my Son's 6.5 Grendel.
The above picture is 5 3 shot groups at 100 yards. We have checked the action screws, free floated the barrel, lapped the bore and tried a dozens of loads from 90 grain Speer TNT's to 129 grain Hornady's.
This thing just does not shoot well. On top of the group size, every different load prints in a different location (usually a stock issue) but this thing is pillar bedded. I tried bedding the recoil lug but it appears to be as tight as possible.
A trip to the gunsmith and he saw nothing out of sorts. Does anyone have experience with this Action or Rifle?
What can we do to get this thing to be a reliable shooter?
I have a Grendel in the AR platform. 24 " barrel that I shoot out to 500 yards with. I find the round a fussy one to load for. I have found my rifle shoots .5 to .75 groups with 107 gr Sierra's with 28.0 gr. of Benchmark. It will also do the same with 100 gr Hornady ELD's with 28 gr of 8208 XBR. It also shoots Hornady 123 gr SST's well on top of 28.5 gr of AA2520. Fussy Little Cuss. Try letting the barrel foul out. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

You guys all make some really good suggestions!
We are going to change the scope load some more rounds and give it a try.
I am actually thinking about asking my Dad to help us go over it and double check my work. Never hurts to have another experienced eye on a project like this.
I did email Howa and ask them if this would fall under a warranty issueo if the once over and scope swap do not work we will travel that route.

But Holy Cow- 8 months to get a rifle back!
If that is the case, We will most likely send it off to Howa and pick up another rifle for hunting season. My son expressed interest in a Ruger Predator in 6.5 Creed. Any thoughts?
This kid is paying for this himself. He wants to earn the money and make it his rifle. I am really proud of him for that but I hurt for him buying a cheap rifle... but he just turned 16 and I like seeing him tinker to try and figure it out. This is a much better pass time than playing a video game AND he has really started learning how to reload. Both of those are a plus in my book.
I have that same rifle. Bought it and put mdt chassis and Nikko Stirling scope. Total weight was under 8lbs with mag. Took my boys to the range and without adjusting anything, the first 3 shots could covered by a silver dollar. After breaking it in the gun is awesome. I haven't even used handloads yet. No muzzle brake used. My boys like it a lot too.
You guys all make some really good suggestions!
We are going to change the scope load some more rounds and give it a try.
I am actually thinking about asking my Dad to help us go over it and double check my work. Never hurts to have another experienced eye on a project like this.
I did email Howa and ask them if this would fall under a warranty issueo if the once over and scope swap do not work we will travel that route.

But Holy Cow- 8 months to get a rifle back!
If that is the case, We will most likely send it off to Howa and pick up another rifle for hunting season. My son expressed interest in a Ruger Predator in 6.5 Creed. Any thoughts?
This kid is paying for this himself. He wants to earn the money and make it his rifle. I am really proud of him for that but I hurt for him buying a cheap rifle... but he just turned 16 and I like seeing him tinker to try and figure it out. This is a much better pass time than playing a video game AND he has really started learning how to reload. Both of those are a plus in my book.

Does sound like a defective rifle. The Creedmoor does have more range and ft. lbs. of energy and easier to find off the shelf ammo. Cheaper too. If I didn't have the money sunk into my AR 6.5 Grendel, I'd head in the Creedmoor direction as well. I have a CVA Scout Pistol chamebred in 6.5 Creedmoor. 123 gr. SST's took two nice deer for me this year, one at 75 yards.

Ultra mags will do that to scope base screws without using a lead sled.Having the action tapped for a larger screw is the best cure as you mentioned.

Use a proven used scope you own.Putting another new scope on that also could be defective proves nothing.I am betting on loose mounts,rings over tightened or bad scope.

A friend of mine had similar problems with a Vortex scope. Found out the three screws on both the windage and elevation knobs were not tightened down when the scope left the factory and all the adjustments input were not moving the reticle.

Trying to find out what is wrong with my Son's 6.5 Grendel.
The above picture is 5 3 shot groups at 100 yards. We have checked the action screws, free floated the barrel, lapped the bore and tried a dozens of loads from 90 grain Speer TNT's to 129 grain Hornady's.
This thing just does not shoot well. On top of the group size, every different load prints in a different location (usually a stock issue) but this thing is pillar bedded. I tried bedding the recoil lug but it appears to be as tight as possible.
A trip to the gunsmith and he saw nothing out of sorts. Does anyone have experience with this Action or Rifle?
What can we do to get this thing to be a reliable shooter?
I had one of my scopes on my .308 show a very similar pattern. From sub-moa at 600 yards to looking like I used a shotgun. The consensus is it was a recoil issue. Returned to the manufacturer (under warranty) and they just replaced It. They said they took a look, and it just plain fell apart. BTW - they sent me an upgraded scope.

Attachments

• IMG_3493.PNG
    IMG_3493.PNG
    53.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3561.PNG
    IMG_3561.PNG
    52.1 KB · Views: 98
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.