Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel- what is wrong?

Johnd45lc

EE5CBAAA-B338-4D89-BAD4-F3B9CC895948.jpeg

Trying to find out what is wrong with my Son's 6.5 Grendel.
The above picture is 5 3 shot groups at 100 yards. We have checked the action screws, free floated the barrel, lapped the bore and tried a dozens of loads from 90 grain Speer TNT's to 129 grain Hornady's.
This thing just does not shoot well. On top of the group size, every different load prints in a different location (usually a stock issue) but this thing is pillar bedded. I tried bedding the recoil lug but it appears to be as tight as possible.
A trip to the gunsmith and he saw nothing out of sorts. Does anyone have experience with this Action or Rifle?
What can we do to get this thing to be a reliable shooter?

Maybe they accidently used a 7mm barrel. Don't know without seeing it in person. Change scopes and see if it helps. Even though there is not much recoil. Other than that my thoughts are the action is binding in the stock somewhere.
Shep

My experience with Howa (also Weatherby Vanguard) starndard size actions, are that they are very accurate, nice actions. I have several. No experience with the mini actions yet. Have my eye on one in 223 Rem though.

Sounds like you know a thing or two. Not meaning anything other than curious; what scope, rings mount are you running?
Optic is a Vortex Crossfire 2, Warne Rings in Picatinny bases.
He asked me today if I would take the Nightforce off of my 7 SAUM and put it on his rifle to see if the optic was the problem... I love the kid to death but taking the optic off my SAUM... that is a hard decision!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts