Howa 7mm Wsm....Buy it or pass?!

Southernboy2563

I have an opportunity to buy a low round count excellent condition stainless howa 1500 in 7mm Wsm. It already has a McMillan stock and timney trigger installed on it. The owner says it shoots great and the price is right in my opinion. My question is should I buy it or pass? I have a 270 Wsm that I hunt with all the time. Am I gonna see any real difference in performance over it? My research shows no other than better bullet selection. I'm a reloader and I've had a hard time finding good brass for the 7mm. That's one thing kinda holding me up on it and it's not near as popular as a 270 or 300 Wsm. This is gonna be for deer in sc at ranges no further than 800 yards. And more like 600 yards and less the most common. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

7 WSM brass hasn't been around in a year or two. Yea it could be made from your 270 WSM cases but why bother. The 7 WSM won't be any better at taking whitetails than the 270 WSM. I'd pass on the rifle If I were you.

That's kinda what I was thinkin. My 270 Wsm is a browning x-bolt long range hunter. It shoots 1/2" groups all day. I Guess I'll just save that money and get Pendleton stocks to build me a stock for my x-bolt instead. Thanks for helping me decide!!

I have a semi Custom "Bad to the Bone " 7mm WSM . I was told ( I don't know why) that you can't make 7wsm brass from 270 wsm . But for sure you can from 300 WSM. BUT it can't kill deer any deader than the 270,just be able to do it with a heavier bullet..

Agreed not crazy about the 7wsm, but if its a steal of a price grab it. Play around w/ the wsm if you don't like it rebarrel it. As a hunting rig it shouldn't take a lot of brass to last you a long time, again, this is only if its a price you can't resist.

I have no problem 270wsm brass and fire form it. I fireform mine with COW and 17 to 17.5 gr of unique. I have not had to turn any necks with 270wsm Norma brass.

I started with 300 wsm but the necks get real thick and stiff so switched to 270 wsm brass and the neck tension is much better.

I fireform Norma 270wsm brass with a mid range load of IMR 7828 and Hornady 160 interlocks jammed hard into the lands. Get good groups/practice and out pops nicely formed 7mmwsm brass.

That's kind of what I was thinking about doing to it but I don't have the time to mess with the other ones I'm building right now either lol. I guess I could post it in the classifieds just to see if anyone out there wants it because it's such a good deal

I thought it was a stock Howa,but it has a nice McMillian stock,maybe you should re-consider ? I already have a 7mmWSM . Out of a 26" Brux bbl 69.5grs of H1000 is producing 3200fps 162 gr A-Max . What 270 can do that ?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.