Howa 7mm mag - Berger 168 Classic Hunter

Dmayer

Greetings. I am a new member and I just recently purchased a Howa 7mm mag (model 1500) and am starting the process of finding "my bullet" since finishing the break in. Due to availability locally here in southern Oregon, I have started with the Nosler 160 grain accubond and the Berger 168 grain Classic Hunter.

I tried 3 powders with each bullet and 3 different grain weights in 1 grain increments for each powder.

I was able to dial in the Nosler fairly quickly and ended on 58 grains of AA4350 and was happy with the grouping (~0.60" @ 100 yards). I haven't had as much luck with the Bergers however. I am still getting decent groupings, but not like I did with the Nosler.

The powders I have to work with are RL22, AA4350, and IMR 7828 (for now). I noticed that the Berger reloading book doesn't include reloading data for the Classic Hunters, only the VLDs.

I was hoping to get some input from anyone who has experimented with the classic hunter bullets and what powder and grain weight has worked for them.

Cheers

This needs to get moved to the reloading forum.

I have found that the classic hunter bullets never achieve the same accuracy as the VLD's. You can make them shoot 1/2 MOA pretty easy, but I wasn't able to do better. I tried h4350, 7828, and Retumbo. I think 7828 did the best, but they were all very close.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.