Howa 1500

Desert Fox

I haven't seen this action being discussed much here in this forum. Does anyone have used this action as a platform for their long range rig ? How strong is this action? I own one chambered for 338 Win Mag and planning to convert it to 338RUM. Any input will be appreciated.

desert fox,the howa action is the same as a weatherby vanguard. i personaly like them.i had a 1k benchrest rifle in 300 weatherby.strong action.a friend of mine has a 1k benchrest rifle with a howa action.he shot a 6.5"-10 shot group at 1k with it.a local gunsmith uses many howa actions on his custom hunting rifles.i'm not sure if howa 1500's come as magnum length or not.another somewhat problem at least a few years ago,i dont think anyone makes an aftermarket trigger for them. jason

Thanks for your reply. Timney makes aftermarket trigger for Howa. The magazine is measured at 3.735 overall. It will be long enough for 338 RUM.

There was a recall on 1500 bolt assemblies a couple years ago. I sent one in, they sent it back, and I was not real sure what they did to it?

Mine has an excellent (but modified) factory trigger, you shouldn't need an aftermarket.

If all Howa barrels are like mine, I'd get another before spending much time on it.

Good hunting. LB

The Howa action is nothing short of superb. For the money what else is there, what is as good?
Im thinking of having a 22BR built on a SS action, Lother tube and Mcmillan A1-3, heh heh heh, run rabbit run /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

excellent piece of kit.
ive a short action here in 243. and kaliderscope is trying to convince me to build that 22BR on it.

the howa has been the custom rifle secret for far to long, it offers far more than a remington.
i real like the howa, and as some one mentioned, it is very similar to teh sako finbear. i heared some where that howa did actualy make some actions for sako.
Pete

Pete: I have heard you have done som conversions on the howa, and fitted sako magazines to it?

What would something like that cost?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.